E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Oil in spark plug well! ...and what should I replace?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2003, 02:02 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 Mecedes-Benz 400E
Oil in spark plug well! ...and what should I replace?

Upon finding out I need a new water pump I decided that I might as well check the whole engine out and see if anything else might go bad so I can fix everything at once. I found at that my two distributor caps and rotors are bad (which I really hope will solve my stalling and idle problems) so I then thought that I might inspect the wires. When pulling the wires out of the spark plug wells the wires on the 4th and 8th cylinders have oil on them. These are the cylinders closest to the firewall. None of the other cylinders have any oil residue at all. On the 4th cylinder the oil has burnt to the metal end of the wire that connects to the spark plug. On the 8th cylinder the oil is built up on the metal and is thick, kind of like bearing grease. I am wondering if this is a problem that is very important or not. I lose no oil between oil changes, or if I do its very, very minnute. And can the ends of the wires be replaced, there is no oil on the inside of the metal end that connects to the plug but I figure it should be replaced. Since this is now looking to be a rather large job is there anything else that I should do while I am attemping these jobs? So far I am going to change the: water pump, coolant, oil, distributor cap and rotor.
Old 03-10-2003, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'89 300 TE,'80 230 CE
Oil leak

You will need to replace the Valve-cover gaskets. The Sparkplug Connector is available seperate, but there is no need for
replacement. Since these V-8 inthe 124 Class produce an imense
amount of heat, all the wiring and rubber parts are prone to desintigrate.So check that. Depending on milage, the only other major problem is the Timing Chain,Tensioner and upper guide rails.