E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Faded Door Handles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
300CE
Faded Door Handles

And suggestions on faded black door handles, Can I get a paint made for plastic and repaint them black?
Old 01-14-2010, 08:51 PM

1989 300E 105,000 miles
Handles

My old gal (1989 300E) has the same issue. I read an old post about this sometime ago and there were some suggestions.

I ended up using tire black (shine) on the handles and it lasted for about 3 months. Reapplications were necessary. I don't think there were any permenant solutions or else I would have tried it.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:51 PM

'99 c230 Kompressor
You can use a product called Forever Black, it's a dye of sorts, not just a polish and you apply it a couple of times in different directions. First time it will look strange but as you apply subsequent coats it blends and looks like brand new again. You can use on any black parts that have turned grey. It is a special order item it seems, check online as it's very hard to find in any auto part store.
Also, some people mention using peanut butter for a shorter term fix, but I skipped right to the point and used peanut oil successfully on my cars and didn't have the mess to clean up (or raccoons trying to eat my door handles).
Old 01-14-2010, 10:55 PM

300CE
Originally Posted by MarrsCars
You can use a product called Forever Black, it's a dye of sorts, not just a polish and you apply it a couple of times in different directions. First time it will look strange but as you apply subsequent coats it blends and looks like brand new again. You can use on any black parts that have turned grey. It is a special order item it seems, check online as it's very hard to find in any auto part store.
Also, some people mention using peanut butter for a shorter term fix, but I skipped right to the point and used peanut oil successfully on my cars and didn't have the mess to clean up (or raccoons trying to eat my door handles).
I've heard good things abot the Forever Black, ordered some off of Ebay, looks pretty easy to apply. we'll see how that works out. Had never heard of the peanut butter, I prefer to keep that on my sandwiches.

-paul
Old 01-24-2010, 05:57 PM

89 300 TE
I have painted door handles and general faded trim on many different cars with Trim Black paint.Its available in different brands but I like Dupli-Color.I use a degreaser then a scuff pad and then thinner.Make sure everything is well masked off and follow the directions on the can.The paint will last for years if done right.I've tried some of the other products and none of them lasted very long.