E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Engine/Car cleaning W124

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1988 300E, 1994 E320, 1999 ML 320, 2002 SLK 32 AMG -SOLD-, ML 350SE -REPOSSESED-
Engine/Car cleaning W124

Things that im dealing with:

My headers are all rusted, oily engine block from blown headgasket, A/C coolant leak. Basically gunky build up.

Im a DIY person. What do I need in order to clean it all up?

I have access to sandblasting for free. Would sandblasting and painting the headers be a bad idea?

Please share your thoughts on your W124 cleaning experiences...
Old 02-22-2010, 03:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MG TC
Originally Posted by loclark757
Things that im dealing with:

My headers are all rusted, oily engine block from blown headgasket, A/C coolant leak. Basically gunky build up.

Im a DIY person. What do I need in order to clean it all up?

I have access to sandblasting for free. Would sandblasting and painting the headers be a bad idea?

Please share your thoughts on your W124 cleaning experiences...
There are a few ways to go about this.
1) Send it to a place that does MCC (metallic ceramic coating) like Jet Hot.
Will last for years and years. About $150.00 or so.

2) Sandblast them, while off the car of course, spray them with some Hi Temp paint and bake them in your soon-to-be ex wifes oven.
May last a year or so. DO NOT use the oven for silly things like food afterwards. About $6.00 or so.

3) A few places offer header paint, I've had no experiance with them but it would seem that good prep is the key.

4) Some places, Eastwood maybe, offer a brush on MCC like material.

MCC is really only metal spraying. Any large city had a place that could do this. Jet Hot, like Monster Cable, K&N, Zymol, various chip manufacturers, etc., etc. spend a lot of money on advertising to the car hobby and then charge a high price because they claim their stuff is "special."
In my 37 years in playing with cars I have never found that the hype matches reality.

Jet Hot is a great product no question about it, but Metal Spraying has been around for decades for industrial use and it's not really so special that they should charge what they do.

Kind Regards,
Ron