E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

300TE Fuel distributor problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2003, 05:28 PM
jem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
300TE (1990)
300TE Fuel distributor problems

3 months ago my 300TE started misfiring just a little when you pull away -- just lumpy for a few seconds then cleared. After hours at the garage they said it was the fuel metering (aka "fuel distributor") unit. A genuine MB replacement is GBP800 (that's $1200 to most of you guys)!! So I got hold of a second-hand unit mail order, the garage fitted it and no problems. Until now. Yesterday the engine just faded out and refused to start. Got towed back to the garage (different garage) and they say: it's the fuel metering/distributor unit!

Possibly there is some crud from the bottom of the petrol tank that's got into the fuel lines -- some mechanics have told me that I should pay to have the whole fuel system flushed out, new accumulator, new tank, etc etc -- huge cost!

Has anyone else come across this sort of problem with the fuel distributor? (It's the lump of metal that sits right under the air filter and right on top of the inlet manifold.) At 800 quid a throw, I can't afford to keep trying out more distributor units every 3 months! Are W124 or 300E/TE engines particularly susceptible to this fault? Is a re-conditioned unit OK? (only about GBP350).
Old 03-21-2003, 06:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
'00 S320 W220, '98 A160 W168/ sold in 2005 '86 260 E W124 '90 260E W124
I own 2 W124 260E both well over 180kmls both older than 13 years, never have had a problem in the area of the fuel distrubution, and never heard of such. Of corse the symtoms you have may have several more or less costly causes.
fuel pump and its filter (dirt from the gas tank is not supposed to pass the filter!!)
leaking cold start valve
worn fuel injectors
foul spark plugs due to demaged valve stem seals
leaking vacuum circuits
drawing air in the intake circuit through badly sealed injectors, ripped hoses, and craked intake manifold etc. To check this let the engine idle, air filter taken off, spray chemical alcohol or brake clean on the the hoses, injectors etc. If the idle speed rises spraying to certain areas it's an indication of extra air is drawn and may change the mixture of fuel and air beyond the ratio allowed.
Another check, but only to be performed by a good garage is to meassure the fuel pressures at different positons of the system.
Good luck finding the "eggs"