E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

300E Stalling problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 12:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 300E
300E Stalling problem

Hello all-

First time poster, but have been lurking for a while.

I've recently been experiencing stalling problems with my '92 300E.

It started on the freeway when all my dash lights lit up and my power steering went out on me. Turned out my fanbelt and fanbelt clutch bracket snapped on me. I repaired those but since then the stalling problem has been occurring, and I am not sure if it is a result from the first problem or unrelated.

The stalling occurs when I am accelerating (seems to just be in low gears), and after the engine is warm (roughly 5-10 mins into driving). The RPMs will drop from 20 to 10 very rapidly and the car seems to jerk. It appears that if the engine is still not very warm I can let off the gas and the car feels like it "catches back up" and I am able to accelerate again.

However, after the car gets warmer the problem becomes more frequent and just letting off of the gas doesn't work as well. If I hold the gas down it feels like the car is "choking" and sometimes will eventually die.

I took the car back in for this problem and they suggested a simple tune-up would fix the problem. They replaced the spark-plugs, distributor cap & o-ring, Ignition rotor, and spark plug wire set. It did make the car run smoother but did not help with the stalling issue.

Also, since having it back from the shop my locks have locked themselves twice while driving (not sure it if has anything to do with the problem though).

Simple Specs:
1992 300E ~124000 miles, inline 6, installed a refurbished transmission about 5 years ago.

I apologize if I sound like a beginner, because I am, but I am trying to learn and could really use some expert insight. Thank you in advance!

Evan
Old 04-06-2010, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lots of cars
Are you in long beach?
Old 04-07-2010, 01:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 300E
Yeah.