E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

88' TE Needs Exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mostly Saabs - Former/Future MB Owner
88' TE Needs Exhaust

So my $200 beater seems to have some fairly throaty exhaust (sounds nice) but it turns out that it's because the system is about a few tin cans short of a family buffet. In other words - it's previous owner has patched and clamped more than should be and it's not holding up any longer. Are there any "aftermarket" exhaust options for the 3.0 I6 that won't break the bank or should I just buy some pipe and fit some "straight pipes" and delete the muffler..... I am willing to fab something up to save a few bucks and get a little more oomph out of this I6. I do like the throaty sound the engine has beneath all of that factory exhaust. Links are welcome! Interested in what others have done - ideas always help the dream happen.

Would also consider a cheap used system if anyone had one to offer locally.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:36 PM

300E
I like the Remus Exhaust thats what i am planning on getting for my wagon. You can do a youtube search for videos of how it sounds.

also love the Eisenmann exhaust very mean sounding but its $$$$
Old 04-14-2010, 02:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

89 300TE, and 68 280sel
I had a hole in my TE exhaust and had to replace the system. I had the resonator removed and straightpiped back to the rear muffler. The muffler I chose was a magnaflow 2.25" single-in, dual out muffler used on the firebirds and camaros as it is mounted horizontally rather than longitudinally like most cars. I painted it all black to hide it rather than flaunt it. Sounds great with this motor.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:33 PM

300E
any sound clips?
Old 04-14-2010, 08:54 PM

300TE / 300E / 300CE
Originally Posted by myfirstbenz
I had a hole in my TE exhaust and had to replace the system. I had the resonator removed and straightpiped back to the rear muffler. The muffler I chose was a magnaflow 2.25" single-in, dual out muffler used on the firebirds and camaros as it is mounted horizontally rather than longitudinally like most cars. I painted it all black to hide it rather than flaunt it. Sounds great with this motor.

Are the exhausts on opposite sides of the muffler? Where's the inlet, can you post a low view of it?

I wanted to install my sedan's Supersprint muffler but the outlets would face the right side...
Old 04-15-2010, 02:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

89 300TE, and 68 280sel
As far as sound clips, the only one I have is of poor quality due to the mic on my camera at the time, and the benz is in WA and I am in AK right now. But it has a very deep and clean sound since the Magnaflows have material inside that baffles the resonance or raspy sound that you might get with a hollow tinny sound from a flowmaster.

The inlet is on the driver's side per stock. Imagine a sock muffler with another outlet hole on the passenger side. Magnaflow muffler #14266.