E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Won't start w/o jiggling shifter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 E320 Wagon
Won't start w/o jiggling shifter

Hi everyone--

I'm hoping to get some fix-it advice about my 1995 E320 wagon (100k miles).

When I turn the key to start the car, nothing happens. All the dashboard lights come on, the high-beams/wipers work, etc., but the car does not turn over. Engine doesn't make any sound at all.

However, I've found that if I move the car in and out of park, it will start. It usually takes five or so shifter moves--to R/D/2/3/whatever, and back and forth into park. Then eventually it starts up and drives normally. I just have to try that process a few times.

This first occurred about a month ago, but didn't reoccur. However, I just returned from a two-week long trip during which the car wasn't used at all. Now it's happening every time I try to start the car up.

Any thoughts on what the problem could be, and how best to fix it? Thanks!
Old 04-25-2010, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
starting issues-shifter position

Howdy, I'm currently facing the same issue, most likely it is the neutral safety switch. There are numerous resources with info on the replacement and even repair of the part to be googled. In the short term, try turning the key, moving the selector to neutral, turn the key back to second position and you should be able to crank it. Unfortunately I became proficient at this last week. Best of Luck