E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Question for all you with component speakers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 E320 Coupe, Diesel Golf
Question for all you with component speakers

Hey guys, I'm trying to decide where to place my tweeter before I start using the hole saw. I've read everywhere that you can pretty much place the tweeter anywhere, but it all depends on the car. I"m thinking of flushing mounting it on the a-pillar (by the mirror), but again I've heard on some cars it sounds good on some not.

What are you opinions?

comments, questions, always welcome.

thanks
Old 05-09-2010, 02:36 PM

16 E350 wagon, 94 AMG, sold -95 E320 Sportline wagon & 94 E420 & 95 E320 coupe & 92 190 16v
I always hook everthing up but don't mount the tweeters. Leave enough cable on them so you can move them around. Use 3m double sided foam tape to hold them in place while you find out what sounds best to you. Typically the closer you keep the
tweeter to the mid the more coherent the sound. Leave all eq settings flat while you experiment.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:12 PM
RHW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
94 Wagon and 94 Cabriolet
Mounted tweets here in my 90 wagon (pardon my utilitarian approach with the drinkholder and big ol 6" in the door there, but it's a grocery-getter / winter wagon)

Down here low in the doors, but these are JL Audio ZRs and as spinlps says, keeping tweets n woofers close is always preferred...

-------------------
I like the look of the tweeter location in the wagon better. Also, the ZRs intrude a little too far into ankle space for me, but those are in my partner's Sportline and it doesn't bother him.

But, the wagon's tweet location begged those odd speaker mounts to keep em close.

I haven't tri-amped a car since my former coupe, and those tweeters are in the dash speaker location.

What's the new audio comprised of?
Old 05-10-2010, 05:36 PM

95 E320 Coupe, Diesel Golf
Originally Posted by RHW
Mounted tweets here in my 90 wagon (pardon my utilitarian approach with the drinkholder and big ol 6" in the door there, but it's a grocery-getter / winter wagon)

Down here low in the doors, but these are JL Audio ZRs and as spinlps says, keeping tweets n woofers close is always preferred...

-------------------
I like the look of the tweeter location in the wagon better. Also, the ZRs intrude a little too far into ankle space for me, but those are in my partner's Sportline and it doesn't bother him.

But, the wagon's tweet location begged those odd speaker mounts to keep em close.

I haven't tri-amped a car since my former coupe, and those tweeters are in the dash speaker location.

What's the new audio comprised of?
Cool thanks, I tought about placing them on the a-pillar turns out there is not enough room there for tweeter to be flush mounted.

I will go with teh same door approach.

I'm putting in 5 1/4 alpine type r's in doors as components and type s 4" for the dash. For the back i'm just gonna mount a JL marine sub.. as I dont want too much base, had my share of thumps in the old days, I just want something simple that just gives that enough amount of base.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:06 AM

230E-M102
You might consider to customized the a pilar if it biger than 4"...even for the midrange also it's little bit extreme.

I'd this experience when I decide how to had staging vocal effect at the centre of the dashboard. So, after disobeying my installer that said," don't use the original speaker place in the dashboard coz I'm using 3way system(ribbon&mid range) in a pillar&mid bass also customized the door panel" I did had double cost to pay him

But now, the sound of vocal, instrument low,high&deep bass was so perfectly separated, loud&clear

Regards
Old 05-13-2010, 08:10 AM

230E-M102
In 3 way system, if the original place in the corner of dashboard will had bouncing effect from the tweeter specially the ribbon type with huge magnet

Last edited by Declan; 05-13-2010 at 08:17 AM.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S500
Will, hide it in the stock dash location. No one needs to know you've got a stereo in there. What I should have done originally.
IF you decide to drill. Just make sure you mark it out with your door closed first. I learned the hard way the first time around and it cost me a couple of hundred bucks for the top half of a brown door.