E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

'95 E320 Side Skirt help...plz

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 Mercedes-Benz E320
'95 E320 Side Skirt help...plz

Newbie here. Just noticed that part of the side skirt on the right side of my car is starting to lift up off the body of the car (no longer attached). It looks like the clip, hook or w/e it was that keeps the skirt attached has either broken off or been pushed into the body of the car? In any case, I figured I'd come to the venerable and wise W124 enthusiasts of these boards in hopes of finding a solution to my dilemma. I think I'd be going overboard if I were to get my mechanic involved with something as minor as this...I was originally actually going to just look for some automotive type of 'glue' or something to maybe try sticking the lifted-off part of the side-skirt back to my vehicle's body, but I'm not sure if that's my best option? Any ideas guys/gals?!

Thanks!

P.S. Here's a snapshot of the problem area:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/atta...-skirt_rev.jpg
Old 06-06-2010, 03:31 AM

300TE / 300E / 300CE
Originally Posted by BadBoy787512
Newbie here. Just noticed that part of the side skirt on the right side of my car is starting to lift up off the body of the car (no longer attached). It looks like the clip, hook or w/e it was that keeps the skirt attached has either broken off or been pushed into the body of the car? In any case, I figured I'd come to the venerable and wise W124 enthusiasts of these boards in hopes of finding a solution to my dilemma. I think I'd be going overboard if I were to get my mechanic involved with something as minor as this...I was originally actually going to just look for some automotive type of 'glue' or something to maybe try sticking the lifted-off part of the side-skirt back to my vehicle's body, but I'm not sure if that's my best option? Any ideas guys/gals?!

Thanks!

P.S. Here's a snapshot of the problem area:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/atta...-skirt_rev.jpg
It looks like the end of the chrome strip is lifting, not the panel. To do it right, remove the panel and replace the clip on the strip. It has a rectangular piece with two holes that you turn 90 degrees on the clip. To remove the panel, remove two screws on the door handle side, pull the at the bottom of the panel to release the prong clips, then slide the panel away from the hinge side of the door. It will make sense once it's removed. Then look under the panel where the strip is mounted.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:50 AM

1995 Mercedes-Benz E320
Re:

Originally Posted by pifcat2
It looks like the end of the chrome strip is lifting, not the panel. To do it right, remove the panel and replace the clip on the strip. It has a rectangular piece with two holes that you turn 90 degrees on the clip. To remove the panel, remove two screws on the door handle side, pull the at the bottom of the panel to release the prong clips, then slide the panel away from the hinge side of the door. It will make sense once it's removed. Then look under the panel where the strip is mounted.
Hmm...interesting. Looks like doing it the way you described will probably yield the best results. You're talking about removing the screws from the inside of the door, correct? Kinda nervous 'cause this is the first time I'm doing anything like this (ie, removing screws and all that)...

Thanks!
Old 06-06-2010, 01:20 PM

300TE / 300E / 300CE
Originally Posted by BadBoy787512
Hmm...interesting. Looks like doing it the way you described will probably yield the best results. You're talking about removing the screws from the inside of the door, correct? Kinda nervous 'cause this is the first time I'm doing anything like this (ie, removing screws and all that)...

Thanks!
Yes those screws. The bottom clips on the panel may be tight so you may have to pull hard. A few of the top clips that slide may pop off the panel when you pull the bottom. Then tap the panel to the left with your hand. Be on the lookout for a flat rectangular plastic piece with 2 holes that hold the chrome strip in. If you cannot find it, buy one from the dealer or look in the j/y. If you have a self serve j/y you may want to find one and removal. I'm seeing more cars with cladding in the yards.

Note: You do run the risk of breaking the panel mount for the clips or a clip itself. Use even force. They sound like they break when they snap loose. If you don't want to take the risk, use a piece of good double sided outside tape like 3M under the chrome strip. It can be removed with solvent if in the future you decide to take the panel off. Here's what the the clip looks like underneath:
Attached Thumbnails '95 E320 Side Skirt help...plz-dscf5805c.jpg  

Last edited by pifcat2; 06-06-2010 at 03:53 PM.