E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Hard to start turns into wont start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 300e
Hard to start turns into wont start

Hi all,

My '93 300e started acting up a few days ago. Wouldn't start on the first try cold. Initially, it was sporadic but now it wont start at all. No CEL. (I haven't checked for trouble codes, don't know how on this car yet.)

I've been reading forum posts on the hard to start issue. Most common solutions were to replace the OPV relay, crankshaft sensor and camshaft sensor.

Any suggestions on which one to replace first or other ideas?

Thanks!
Tom
Old 06-28-2010, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 300e
Fixed! (I hope)

I replaced the crankshaft position sensor over the weekend. The initial startup was bad - the engine just stumbled but never started.

Since it sounded like it was getting fuel but maybe not enough, I started looking through the fuel system components. Starting with the easiest to find - I pulled the fuel pump relay and checked the fuse, cleaned the contacts, etc.

When I popped it back in, the car started just like normal. Short crank time, no stumbles. It has continued to behave normally.

Maybe the CPS needed a reset, maybe the fuel pump relay is flakey, not quite sure, but it start and runs great now!