E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

1987 300D Start Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 300D
1987 300D Start Problem

Hey everybody -- first-time poster, but I've used the site before for help on other technical problems. I did a search, and couldn't find anything on this problem, so new post.

I have a 1987 300D that isn't starting. The battery is not the issue, as all auxiliary components come on with the ignition. However, after allowing the "wait" light to go out, turning the key to start results in nothing. I realize this isn't much to go on, but there don't seem to be any loose grounds or bad relays...everything seems to work right up until, well, it doesn't.

What may help is the fact that recently the engine wouldn't shut off after the key had been removed. I know this a fairly common (or seems to be) vacuum line issue. I'd been using the stop lever until I got a chance to track down the culprit.

My questions: has anyone else run into this issue, and if so, what were the fix(es)? If no suggestions there, would it be possible that the same issue that kept the vehicle from stopping is now keeping it from starting?

Thanks for any input.