E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

New Member here with a 91 300CE (early M104) starting problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 300CE
New Member here with a 91 300CE (early M104) starting problem

Hey every1. New member to the forums but by no means new to Mercs at all. Im also on benzworld. My current issue is a 91 300CE that cranks but no start. To begin I will explain all thats been checked and/or replaced on the car. New coil, rotor and cap, cam sensor, new injectors (last fall), cleaned throttle housing when replacing injectors (used 1.5 cans of carb cleaner). Plugs were inspected last fall when I replaced the injectors and they were newish looking (in other words new electrodes and not fouled).

Well I towed the car to a Mercedes shop and they determined that there was no signal to the EZL to tell the coil to send the spark and from that they determined the rear crank sensor was the culprit to this madness. Im frustrated right now (you should see my hair... I have none left!!!!) The sensor is SEIZED, FROZEN, JUST STUBBORN and wont come out.

I am asking for any and everyone HELP!!!! I was thinking (car has 180K, No clue as to service history since the car was purchased at a 5 finger discount of $1800 at a Chevy dealer back in Oct) no issues up until now (other than a random high idle and I just deal with that... not a main concern right now) I just want the friggin thing running!@@#@!@#!@#!. The reason I mention the mileage is because I was thinking of replacing the head gasket, chain guides, and chain tensioner at the same time, since the rear crank sensor is buired under the oil filter housing, would it be easier with the head off?

Am I on the right track with the rear crank sensor?

Also if anyone knows the head bolt pattern for torquing and removal for the early M104 motor?

I believe I have eliminated any and all other variables because I do have a donor car just sitting at the moment not being driven (92 300E M103 3.0L). I tested the MAS from the CE to the E, the 92 fired right up. I had extra OVP's from my old 93 190E (double fuse) and my CE fired up (OVP was tested 2-3 months ago when I replaced the O2 sensor on the CE)