E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

The Car sounds like its gonna BLOW UP!?!?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2003, 12:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Car sounds like its gonna BLOW UP!?!?!

86 300E-

I just installed my Euro's (they are very nice by the way, just love them) when I noticed my car began to tick more and more. In the past the car has not ticked upon cold startup, but today was the first day I noticed something, but it was exteremely faint in the morning. By the time I got to 6PM tonight, the car is ticking HORRIBLY. It ticks constantly and quite loud and I am very scared. The only two culprits I know of, which don't seem related, is I took off that relay that knocks down the engine (little plastic electronic part hidden by the brake fluid reservoir which is supposed to add horsepower upon removal), and I also put in fuel line cleaner.

I put the relay back in, but it doesn't seem to affect it. The ticking goes faster the higher your rev. Oil is full, i don't know about the oil pressure cause my oil pressure gauge is broken. I am quite confused. This car has never had this problem like this(for the 2 months i've owned it).

Any thoughts? I'll ask my mechanic tomorrow, but currently I'm out of cash, so I can't really drop another grand into her right now. Hoping its something that has to do with that relay or the fuel line cleaner (although I doubt it).

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-12-2003, 04:03 AM

W124
Doughnuts probably didn't help
Old 04-12-2003, 09:22 AM

1990 300E 2.6
noise

May only be a hydraulic lifter, in which case the cure is faily easy and cheap. When one (or more) faile it can make quite a tapping/knocking noise.In any case, best to have it checked out