E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

300E Turbo LPG Project

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-04-2010, 05:18 AM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
2006 C55 AMG 6 speed
85mph in FIRST?! That's almost as fast as my old Beetle could go in all 4 gears!
Old 09-04-2010, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
124 320ce amg widebody twin turbo, the nail
yes the 2.3 and 2.5 getrags are a direct bolt on, but you need the correct flywheel, and clutch assy.

pedal box straight from the 190 as wel.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Shoomakan
85mph in FIRST?

hahahahaha
hahahahaha
hahahahaha

dont make me laugh, it hurts
Old 09-04-2010, 08:28 AM

320 manual transmittion could be a getrag(dogleg), or a non getrag, if it getrag it may well be the short input shaft one, wich was avalible as a special order, on the later cars. This configuration has the twin mass flywheel... not a good choice, the flywheels are a know weak piont, and will be at least 10 yrs old and have x thousand miles on it already, asking for trouble in my opinion.

for max reliability, you need the single mass flywheel and long input shaft dogleg box, easy to tell, just stand the box on its end, if the imput shaft stops the bell housing sitting flat on the ground, it is the long input type.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
300E Turbo
85mph in FIRST?!
Originally Posted by the_widebody
hahahahaha
hahahahaha
hahahahaha

dont make me laugh, it hurts
http://holden.itgo.com/hg_monaro.html

Last edited by BAD300; 09-05-2010 at 04:03 AM.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:26 PM

2006 C55 AMG 6 speed
Dammit, and I had paid a bit extra for the dual mass flywheel. I'll change it when it breaks down, I guess.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:45 AM

bad300, dont think i was dumpin on the idea that a car can do 85 in first... obviously gearing could be made to do that, its just that the dogleg, with a 3.07 which my car came with, is very low geared, mine wont do anywhere near that in first.

i have the clutch packed 210mm slippy diff also, so a swap is being made difficult, as although longer ratios were offed in this configuration, they ain't easy to find, i want a 2.85 or around 2.50, i think it will make my car faster on acceleration, because first gear at the present time is useless, it will obviously increase the top end, and remove some of the stress from the components of the drive train, at the moment, first gear is about two seconds long, and it is very tedious he he.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:28 AM

300E Turbo
Originally Posted by the_widebody
bad300, dont think i was dumpin on the idea that a car can do 85 in first... obviously gearing could be made to do that, its just that the dogleg, with a 3.07 which my car came with, is very low geared, mine wont do anywhere near that in first.

i have the clutch packed 210mm slippy diff also, so a swap is being made difficult, as although longer ratios were offed in this configuration, they ain't easy to find, i want a 2.85 or around 2.50, i think it will make my car faster on acceleration, because first gear at the present time is useless, it will obviously increase the top end, and remove some of the stress from the components of the drive train, at the moment, first gear is about two seconds long, and it is very tedious he he.
it's cool. Yeah. Was just trying to show the results that can be had. Practicality comes first though
Old 09-06-2010, 05:42 PM

300E Turbo
In a dilemma @ present. Deciding whether to use a LSD or not. I know it will be better with traction in the dry so I won't be spinning the one wheel so easy. Another thing is the LSD will handle the extra power. Far more than the stock.

My only concern is the fishtailing in the wet saga.

Any thoughts on the subject?
Old 09-07-2010, 03:40 AM

2006 C55 AMG 6 speed
You actually also have more traction in the wet. And from my experience, non LSD diffs in the rain are more dangerous because when one wheel spins, the other might catch on anyway since there is low traction, and it will suddenly throw you in the opposite direction.

And you have no idea how horrible it feels to not be able to go sideways when it is nice and dry.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:12 PM

300E Turbo
Will be expecting some headway when I visit workshop tomorrow morn. Hopefully the manifolds will be made? Here's a pic of the inlet cut & ready for velocity stacks (hopefully finished product tomorrow). Also, couple of pics of the GT35R:

Old 10-06-2010, 11:50 PM

300E
in for updates
Old 11-01-2010, 11:23 AM

300E Turbo
Just a bit of an update on my very near future plans:

Workshop will be mounting TB/Mixer underneath the custom Plenum, in the middle to ensure LPG vapour spreads evenly across all pots. If it was injected, he would have run it in front of first cylinder as was originally planned & what most have done also. LPG changes everything though I guess.

This means the tb will be upside down & feed downwards & then turns toward intercooler via a half-horse shoe bend.

Their still busy mind you the sods. Oh well, more time to put away for other stuff like the springs (all need replacing as they were cut by previous owner ) & possible brake upgrade? Will see how current set up works when I get to drive it though first. __________________

Planning out mods I want to do soon whilst I'm awaiting return of car from workshop along with mods I want to get stuck into once car comes home from workshop.

While I'm waiting I wanna remove grill from bonnet & paint it up satin black. If it looks the part then look at powder-coating it along with perhaps wheel centres? Also paint the boot strip holding rear license plate lights on matching satin black along with the boot star emblem.

First thing I want to definitely tackle once it's home is engine bay heat. This includes heat wrapping the inlet runners & custom extractors. Probably getting a Turbo blanket. Tastefully cutting into front bar & inserting mesh, painting mesh black. I want to avoid bonnet scoops to let air into bay as I don't want to draw attention at this stage.

Also. Looking at a set of 18 x 8" BBS lookalikes. Only reason is they are "brand new" being sold privately so, very tempting....hmmmmmm.....
Old 11-04-2010, 09:40 PM

300E Turbo
Still deciding whether or not to cut out the front bar whilst waiting for workshop to finish (always something else pops up in life is would seem ) or leave it til' I get it home?

Decided against painting the bonnet grill black just yet. Will get this sandblastered & powder coated along with wheels once I've chosen the right ones (still considering the BBS style rims at the moment). So will be pretty much a waste of time messing with it now only to get it done right later

Will probably have other parts to sandblast up ahead. You never know.

Still not overly eager to do too much cosmetic body work prior to vehicle inspection & rego.

Guess I'm really peeved at the time it's taking the workshop but, on a positive side, this gives me extra time to put away for expected expenses up ahead like brakes? struts? any electrical dramas that may arise when it's all said & done?
Old 11-14-2010, 03:22 PM

300E Turbo
These are the wheels I've been considering over last week. Well. Bought em hehe They are original German BBS RG2 18"x8.5" ET38 forged alloys weighing 9kg each It's so hard to find quality wheels with any sort of dish/lip for these cars down here.

Some bugger's stole my idea with the colour coding though (powder coating I have planned) Oh well, least it shows you how they will look off the car. Only difference is the tyres will be stretched on these to fit under guards. I have to flare them more somehow after it passes rego

Soon as I get em' delivered from Sydney I can send them along with grill & other stuff to be s/blastered & powder coated

Old 11-15-2010, 05:07 AM

very nice...
Old 11-16-2010, 06:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2006 C350 Sport 6MT
Great info in this thread..Those BBS wheels looks beautiful
Old 11-16-2010, 03:02 PM

300E Turbo
Thanks guys. I reckon they will add that finishing touch to the car.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:20 AM

300E Turbo
Very seriously considering going LPI.........yes.....liquid LPG injection

This workshop are the biggest DICKS I've ever encountered to this day!

Feedback

EDIT: I'm fast losing confidence in the LPG mixer set up. The expense of injection is the hardest bit to chew. I'm guessing I would have to go MS stand alone for EFI customisation? Any input into the dramas I will face? Again, this LPI is very expensive but delivers 'better' economy & 'more' power & is also rock solid reliable. Just the expense to consider

Other alternative
is to convert it to EFI & run E85 fuel. Utilising MS stand alone. Setting up the proper fuel lines etc? This, I'm considering today.........

EDIT 2: In a nutshell.......Workshop have done very little except for excuses. This whole project is not something any workshop can pull outta their proverbial ***! They need to be very experienced in LPG set ups; turbocharging (with LPG of course) & have the machining/fabricating tools to boot! This is why I labour with these *******

k......that said & outta the way........I have read the EFI for M103 threads but my 300E does NOT have the k-jet mech injection fitted. Was removed prior to last Ice Age. IF I go EFI, I can start (have to start) from scratch. I'm using the 4 speed auto trans. No flywheel to consider trigger wheel etc etc.....so, where it stands @ present......what will I need to consider to convert this car to EFI. Doesn't have to use M104 wiring loom etc. I can go MS & run any adaptive EFI gear/wiring loom etc.

PLS PLS help me out here guys. I want to steer this project around if I can @ this stage. I can start from scratch were the EFI is concerned. I don't have access to yards down here like in the US/EU etc.

Ideas
EDIT 2: In a nutshell.......Workshop have done very little except for excuses. This whole project is not something any workshop can pull outta their proverbial ***! They need to be very experienced in LPG set ups; turbocharging (with LPG of course) & have the machining/fabricating tools to boot! This is why I labour with these ****ers

k......that said & outta the way........I have read the EFI for M103 threads but my 300E does NOT have the k-jet mech injection fitted. Was removed prior to last Ice Age. IF I go EFI, I can start (have to start) from scratch. I'm using the 4 speed auto trans. No flywheel to consider trigger wheel etc etc.....so, where it stands @ present......what will I need to consider to convert this car to EFI. Doesn't have to use M104 wiring loom etc. I can go MS & run any adaptive EFI gear/wiring loom etc.

PLS PLS help me out here guys. I want to steer this project around if I can @ this stage. I can start from scratch were the EFI is concerned. I don't have access to yards down here like in the US/EU etc.

Ideas

Also. Found this link below to a guy in Singapore that has an EBay site where he sells EFI kits/coponents inc trigger wheels, light weight pulleys etc. Some may find this interesting Go to 2nd last post & you'll see contact info

http://www.mybenz.org/zoopp/html/mod...=4488&forum=21

Last edited by BAD300; 11-21-2010 at 03:50 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:36 PM

300E Turbo
DONE! EFI on E85 it is haha...... no more bull****ting around with this stupid LPG mixer set up, just to have a friek

Probably source the custom fuel rail & few EFI bits from Singapore distributor. Seems very reliable. Kits are only for the M102 but, parts are still available for te M103 & coils etc can be got from MS. Will prolly run with MS ECU.......first time I've had piece with this car for months

P.S. In essence, this will provide me with the reliability I was aiming for. This workshop obviously lost interest but didn't have the guts to admit it to me instead, just farked me around like I'm dirt. Now I play the trombone MY WAY

Last edited by BAD300; 11-22-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:02 AM

300E Turbo
Turns out Euro/US is quite different when it comes to fuels & ECU technology. Majority of OS car modifiers actually use EMS's designed/built in AUS. Perhaps certain countries only have few EMS's to choose from?

MS, as a DIY project & if you were handy with a soldering iron & have the time as our OS members, reckon would be fine. Some members down here on Nissan & even Commodore Forums have given it a go. Think you'd be hard pressed finding a shop to muck around with MS here? Certainly a wiring diagram to hardwire it to loom would save heaps of time/hassle. I'm sure members would assist with this though.

This is one area that's costing me. The labour to wire the stand alone to car. This on top of purchasing the Microtech makes it an expensive exercise. Sure there's customer support/service/warranty that you won't get with MS unit brought in from OS but you pay for it

Anyway. The E85 fuel is pathetic down here. 2 independant tests proved it is very unreliable as it is too new here. First sample proved only 72% ethanol mixture whilst the 2nd was 87%. Great. Try tuning to that! Economy is very poor like 50% extra needed to equal 98 RON's efficiency! No way worth the trouble! Whilst OS have got E85 down to a te, we certainly need time to get it right!

As a result I will be tuning to 98 RON which is everywhere here. $2k extra will see me EFI this beast. Workshop will fabricate the fuel rail & wire up the stand alone ECU. They will be essentially doing all custom work.

Here's a quick list of EFI gear they will be using:

Haltech Ignition module, works independent of dizzy/leads similar to wasted spark ignition system that negates need of trigger wheel
V6 Ford? Coil Packs
Microtech LT8 ECU
Custom fuel rail with Aeromotive (quality) fuel regulator
Lift Pump Carter
60lb Injectors
044 fuel pump
Surge tank
Braided lines to suit

P.S. Layed eyes on the extractor merge collector that was custom made today also.......ooooooooooooooh What a pretty piece a machinery.

Also. Will be using mild steel exhaust, not SS (SS was twice the price ) Mild steel will last for donkey's years at the gauge he's using

Last edited by BAD300; 11-24-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:13 PM

300E Turbo
My wheels were sent off yesterday in the post as 4 parcels. Registered & Insured. ETA Monday Then I can take one over to workshop & fit it & see if I need spacer plates & pull the guards out etc. Good thing workshop has jig for this & the fabricator guy is a panel beater by trade
Old 11-25-2010, 06:44 AM

2006 C55 AMG 6 speed
Hey buddy, been awhile since I logged on. I'm reading about your fueling nightmare, and it's something I can totally relate to. It's the one reason I haven't really done anything turbo-wise to the car yet.

I heard from some mechanic here that it's possible to attach the fuel rails and injectors and wiring harness along with the ECU from a M104 that had them, such as the SL300 or S300. Another said that they would also fit from a E320.

If you can do that, especially the first option, I think it would make life alot easier for you. I'm looking into it, and if I come up with anything, I'll be sure to let you know...
Old 11-25-2010, 07:19 AM

300E Turbo
Hey buddy, been awhile since I logged on. I'm reading about your fueling nightmare, and it's something I can totally relate to. It's the one reason I haven't really done anything turbo-wise to the car yet.

I heard from some mechanic here that it's possible to attach the fuel rails and injectors and wiring harness along with the ECU from a M104 that had them, such as the SL300 or S300. Another said that they would also fit from a E320.

If you can do that, especially the first option, I think it would make life alot easier for you. I'm looking into it, and if I come up with anything, I'll be sure to let you know...
You can modify the M104 rail but my workshop guy is a fabricator & can easily custom make one for same cost. A good workshop just has to buy in length of railing & make it. Too easy Better off starting from scratch if you can imo

Last edited by BAD300; 11-25-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:56 PM

300E Turbo
Good & bad day yesterday

BAD: Took wheels I just purchased in to get the outer lips kinda rolled back to shape & turns out 2 rims are badly out-of-shape. Spin them by hand on a wheel balance jig & they wobble. Pretty bad too So. shop is going to give the worst a go at re-rounding them (don't ask me what this involves because alloy is originally cast so you can't technically re-roll them) & if successful, the rest will be done. If unsuccessful, they're useless Anyway, shop guy is positive at this stage.

GOOD: Scored these off EBay http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWAX:IT

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 300E Turbo LPG Project