E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Exhaust VS lowering/suspension

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 05:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 VW Golf TDI
The W124 is a special car, but it is probably best for you to do the minimum to keep it on the road as long as you can. Hopefully it will survive until you get done with college. I am hoping my 1995 E320 gets my son through college, although he does suffer a bit in the summer without the AC. I just can't bring myself to spend the money on the evaporator and a compressor, when I know there are other expensive repairs lurking in the car.

When the time comes, I think you may be surprised to find there other cars that can capture your interest. I love my new VW Golf TDI. At this point I would not want to go back to my E320. I like the Golf TDI that much. The new car has handsfree phone, Sirius radio, SD card and iPod connectivity, hard drive music storage, navigation with too many features to list, 6-speed manual transmission, xenon headlights, LED tail lights, and it handles great and gets 41 mpg average after 10,000 miles. It is a very good little car. I can also imagine getting my son a slightly used GTI or maybe some other fun efficient little car when the Benz finally gives up. There can be life after a W124.

Last edited by ksing44; 10-13-2010 at 05:57 AM.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:17 AM
RHW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
94 Wagon and 94 Cabriolet
Ksing, don't you have rust issues with your spring perches too? It is funny sort of, how long you've been breaking up with the old gal. i Also hope it gets your son past college...at which time you oughtta consider a TDI hand off as a grad present.

Just curious, what did the VW cost? You may have noticed from Zach's comments about his access to funds, struggling to spend $1000-$2000 on upgrades.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e400
@ksing
The car will no doubt last through college, just hit 110k miles driving home from school today, and it has been taken care of very well over the years.
Whenever the slightest thing goes wrong with the car, its fixed within 48 hours. My dad has always been good with taking it to the shop to get it repaired/serviced etc. He doesn't wait until a bunch of problems pile up, which is nice.
Also, because my dad spends his own money towards repairs, i have no worries about it lasting me through college.

And im sure there are cars out there that i would like better than the W124, but i really enjoy driving a sporty looking 17 year old car. I just like the ways it feels being behind the wheel of my car, theres just something about it.

In addition I don't think there are many new cars out there that are better than the W124 unless you spend over 40 or 50 grand. There's a reason W124s were so expensive back and the late 80s and early 90s.

@ksing again..
No offense but in my honest opinion almost all W124s look better than the Golf TDI, and looks play a big part in what kind of cars i will/will not buy. And yes 41 MPG is pretty good, but everytime you put your foot to the floor its just going way down. And good gas mileage comes with a cost, small little engine with not much power. Also the TDI probably has an inline4 that runs sideways, which defeats half the purpose of having an inline engine. Turbos wear down the average life of a car engine..etc
I just think the W124 is a better value.

Also a TDI 4 door diesel is starting at like 23 grand, for 23K, you're not going to have many good parts in the car. My friend has a 2003 golf GLI and the inside feels really cheap. Looks like the whole interior cost like $500. I'm not speaking for yours because i havnt ever seen the interior, just saying.

Anyways..lets be honest
When was the last time you saw a car out on the road that looked much better than this:
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/myc...9589950/#large

Btw whoever owns that car, its my favorite W124 i've ever seen.

Last edited by zach1328; 10-13-2010 at 06:08 PM.