E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

A Look at our Grandchildren

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2003, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Look at our Grandchildren

I know that all of us are W124 owners, but I'm not sure if we are all familiar with our car's grandchildren, specifically the 2004 E55. The car is amazing and in my opinion, one of the nicest E's ever made. Finally a sedan beats the 94-95 500E & E500 with an engine built by Porsche.

Also in my opinion, the W211 is a lot more beautiful than the W210. The 210's front lights are circular, but the front of the car is flat; doesn't make sense. Being a W124 owner, I understand flatness, but I feel like our front headlights are different design. The W211 is nicely designed and nicely rounded.

In terms of the interior, it is true that our cars probably don't even compare. I might still be able to find a couple square inches that compare the W124 and W211 nicely on the exterior, however the interior of the E55, with all of its AMG writing and badging is stinging.

Not only is the interior AMG, but most of all the engine is. This beauty pops to 60mph in a mere 4.5 seconds (I feel as if I'm being reminded of another AMG roadster) only .3 seconds slower than a 508-hp V-12 Ferrari 575M Maranello F1 (Car & Driver). Even at 155MPH, the car is steady, smooth, and relaxing. Car & Driver also states that their 155MPH experience is nothing more than 90 to them.

I must admit my confidence in Mercedes-Benz is growing, now that I have seen this beauty. That might just be because it's the new "E-Class," but that doesn't negate that this is quite possibly the nicest sedan ever built, driven, and tested.