E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Issues Replacing '95 E320 Combo Switch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'95 E320 Sedan
Issues Replacing '95 E320 Combo Switch

First post, please allow me to introduce myself; I'm tomtom and I own a Mercedes-Benz.

I am in the midst of replacing the combo switch on my 1995 E320. I have the steering wheel removed and the connection on the end of the wiring harness disconnected, no problemo. But there seems to be a clasp of some type holding the harness under the dash where it exits the steering column tube. It is almost impossible to get a visual on this. It feels like a large zip-tie is holding it fast to the frame underneath the steering column. I have a small mirror and I've tried to get underneath to look but every effort has failed so far. I don't have much flexibility after two back surgeries and fusion hardware. I even managed to scratch the lens of my glasses trying to free the cable from underneath..

The cable end will just not pull through until it is freed. Am I correct in assuming the tie can be cut so the cable will pull through? I'm usually able to figure these things out but this one has me stymied. I've searched and I can't find any documentation that relates to my dilemma. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mark T.

Last edited by tomtom; 12-04-2010 at 08:28 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:45 PM

300TE / 300E / 300CE
Welcome!

The reusable Benz tie wrap can be released by inserting a screwdriver for leverage while pushing on the tab to release it.

Yes, you can simply cut it and put another on.

How did you determine the problem was the switch and not the wiper or signal lights themselves? Or cruise?
Old 12-05-2010, 08:14 AM

'95 E320 Sedan
Thanks for your prompt reply. This forum seems to have a wealth of M-B technical knowledge. That is the answer I was waiting for. It also looks like I have an extra single wire connector coming from the main connector on the new switch. Looks like a push in connector similar to the one which I disconnected under the passenger side floor mat for the airbag system. Hopefully I did not receive the wrong switch.

There is an intermittent signal flasher failure along with wiper spray failure. I checked out the relay and it was fine. Also sometimes it will come back on if the turn signal lever is agitated or the steering column length adjustment is moved in or out. I believe that narrows it down to the combo switch. Thanks again for your help pifcat2.