E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Stuck tape deck

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 300E
Stuck tape deck

Well I've been driving the w124 around a lot lately, so I thought I'd listen to my iPod while doing so. So, popped in the iPod tape deck thing, and immediately notice that the tape deck is not working.

What appears to be wrong is that it pulls the tape in most of the way, but it cannot read that its there. Then, the most annoying thing is that about every 20 seconds it tries to either pull the tape in again or eject it, i can't tell which. But I do know that the sound of that little motor spinning every 20 minutes is driving me crazy.

So has anyone had this problem? I don't really care about fixing the tape deck thing right now, all I want is to get the tape out of there.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Thought I'd add that the eject button does not work either.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:46 AM

e400
I would just get an aftermarket headunit especially if you can do the installation on your own. The Headunits in our car were very new for the time, so they lack many of the features some of the new ones do. In addition, they make the interior look better in my opinion, unless you like the old school feel of the stock headunit.

I have an Alpine headunit, with the Ipod capability thing or whatever you want to call it. The wire comes out right next to the passenger seat and its not in the way of anything, i love the way it is. Plug my Ipod in, i control everything from the headunit. I can choose the playlists, i can shuffle songs or playlists, i can turn on repeat song etc.
My Ipod cable doesn't charge the Ipod, but since i control it all from the headunit the battery lasts forever. Only have to change it once every week or 2.

Love it, much easier to control the volume, bass, treble etc. The headunit was $140, and installation was $80 including the new antena which is in the trunk (old one was broken, so i decided it would be nicer in the trunk where you cant see it).

I have the Alpine CDA-9886 btw, love it. Good purchase in my opinion. And the $140 price includes the Ipod cable, so if you can install it yourself its only like $20 in parts, for $160 its definately worth it.

EDIT:
Only thing i miss is my 6 Disk CD changer. But with the Ipod capability i guess it really doesnt matter. And the Alpine Unit still holds 1 cd, so good enough for me.
When i first bought the new headunit, i was a little worried in how it would turn out because i liked the old school feel of the old unit. BUT, after seeing how much easier it is to use the new headunit, i decided it really was a GREAT purchase.

Last edited by zach1328; 12-30-2010 at 01:50 AM.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:13 AM

1993 300E
Thanks for the response.

Actually bought the car with an after market unit in it. I personally prefer the old school look of the original though, so we had it put back in. Thankfully the previous owner had kept the original radio.

At some point down the line my father and I would like to get the car looking as close to show room new as possible. So keeping stuff original is important to us.

Thanks again though.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:28 AM

e400
Oh alright, was just trying to help.
And yeah i really like the old school feel of the stock headunit too. But after seeing what the newer headunits could do, i eventually gave in and bought the Alpine one.
As the old owner of your car did, i will also be keeping my stock unit just incase. I don't like getting rid of the stock parts i replace for some reason, maybe because im attached to them in some way.

And goodluck with your headunit, sorry i couldnt help. I was just trying to turn you to the aftermarket headunit side..

Did you ever get the window tint, or decide if you wanted it or not?
Old 12-30-2010, 11:54 AM

1993 300E
I'm probably going to wait on the tint till summer time when I'm working again. Being at school and not working, I figured I need all the funds I can get. Haha.

But I think when I do go for it, I'm going to do 40% all around.