E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

91 300CE-24v burning oil. Valve stem seals?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 06:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'91 C124 300CE,'06 ML 500 W164, '00 BMW MCOUPE, '65 COBRA REPL.
91 300CE-24v burning oil. Valve stem seals?

Hey guys,
My '91 300CE 24v 155k miles (104.980 hybrid with CIS FI) burning oil at a fast rate. This is most noticeable at highway speeds. My low oil light comes on pretty fast after a fill to the max line.
I do not know how many quarts are consumed at what mileage, but plenty at not a lot of miles.
There are NO external oil leaks.
NO oil in the coolant.
There are signs of oil in the exhaust. No drips, just black but could also be carbon build up.
White smoke visible when hard on the gas.
The car runs great!
I have put some stuff to reduce the oil burning, as well as higher viscosity oil.
But these are more of an experiment to see if oil burning will actually lessen.

I have read that the 104s do not eat valve seals like the 103s but this seems to be the only cause.

Am I missing anything here? Can this issue have another cause?
I have come to the (not 100% sure) conclusion that my Valve Stem Seals are worn, hardened, bad etc.

If special tools are required, where can they be found and what are they?
Any DIY instructions available?

I do not want to settle for the "just top it off as needed" advice. I want to fix the issue...if pssible, with minimum expense.
Thank you gents in advance.

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________

OK, I did much more searching and can't believe I missed this one:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w124...als-300ce.html

The M104.980 engine uses the M103 block with the M104 head (kinda) and the old CIS fuel injection.
Any way, the valve stem seals can be r&r without removing the head.
Special tools are required because the springs are within the head and do not protrude enough for the compressors to grab the springs.
The cams HAVE to come off as the valves reside under the cam lobes.
It can be done and I might try the r&r of the stem seals once I have a better understanding of the positions of the cams etc.
I will be doing more research on the subject and if I decide to go forward with this, I will be updating accordingly.

In the meantime, if any one has more info, please add here.
Thanks.

Last edited by semis1; 01-07-2011 at 10:29 PM.