E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Transmission problems developing..?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e400
Transmission problems developing..?

Just earlier today I was driving home from my basketball game, and i was turning on to the feeder. The speed limit on the feeder is 55MPH so its a good place to do a quick 0-60 sometimes.

As i turned onto the feeder i gunned it, and it nicely downshifted into 1st gear. Then it pulled up to 40MPH and on the gearshift, the car was just revving up and not really accelerating.

It was a little bit wet out, so the tires could have easily lost grip on the gearshift, but the weird part was the back end didn't feel loose or anything. As far as feeling goes, it definately felt like it was gripping the road fine.

But then why would it struggle to shift into 2nd gear? The other wierd thing is, if it wasn't in 2nd gear, then why was it still accelerating just a little bit? The reason i think it was wheelspin was because i still accelerated 40-50 while it was revving, and if it were in nuetral that wouldn't be possible. Except, as i stated a second ago, it didn't feel as if i lost any grip.
The car still accelerated which means it must have been in 2nd gear, so it couldn't have missed the gear shift, or could it have?
If it was in gear and revving up to 6k at 40mph in 2nd gear, then that would mean the tires lost grip and were spinning. But it didn't feel at all like that.

Oh and another important piece of information. I gunned it again a second later to see if it would do it again, and it was perfectly fine that time.

What could it be? Is my transmission slowly breaking, or do you think it was simply a TON of wheelspin? The road was barely wet so i don't have any idea how i could have spun the tires enough for my car to almost redline in 2nd gear @40mph.

EDIT:
Maybe i just need new transmission fluid? But if there really is a problem in the development, id like to have it repaired before it turns into anything really major.

Last edited by zach1328; 01-15-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:01 AM

1987 260E, 2008 GL 450,1980 240D 2002 Chevy Tahoe LT
Check your trans fluid. Make sure you have the correct amount in the tranny. These transmissions are not very forgiving when it comes to too much or too little. My 260 wants the correct amount at all times.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1987 560SL
Too little fluid and you will have trouble with shifting.
Too much, you can blow your seals or cause Other damage.

NEVER overfill it.

Check the level with the car running, and at normal operating temp.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:57 PM

w124
wait and see

If the tranny is going then you will notice more weirdness more often. If it happens twice make sure you have plans for what you will do, a cell phone, and towing coverage.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:37 PM

e400
Well it did it again today and it was dry so it obviously wasn't the tires loosing traction. And it only does it when i gun it, so if it were a problem i don't assume it would be a serious problem.

I'm pretty sure it due for a transmission fluid change sometime soon, but im guessing it ran out faster because of the way i drive it.
I'll have it checked out when it goes in for its oil change in a few hundred miles or what ever it is.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1987 560SL
Why not check it yourself, now ???
Old 01-21-2011, 07:28 PM

e400
Haha i would if i knew how to do that. Anyways my Dad gets mad whenever i do anything to the car.
One time he saw me taking out the air filter and he got mad at me because he thinks if i start taking things off or anything like that its going to break, or im going to forget how to put it back on.

It's due for an oil change in like 400 miles so ill just have them check and replace it when it goes in for oil.
I mainly just wanted to make sure it wasn't a serious problem.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1987 560SL
Originally Posted by zach1328
Haha i would if i knew how to do that. Anyways my Dad gets mad whenever i do anything to the car.
One time he saw me taking out the air filter and he got mad at me because he thinks if i start taking things off or anything like that its going to break, or im going to forget how to put it back on.

It's due for an oil change in like 400 miles so ill just have them check and replace it when it goes in for oil.
I mainly just wanted to make sure it wasn't a serious problem.
Driving it without fluid for 400 miles, aggressively, is a sure way to cause damage.

It takes literally 2 minutes to check the tranny dipstick.

Tell your Dad you think it is slipping, and ask him to show you how to check. Watch your dad while he checks the fluid level, to learn how.
ThT's how 99% of the people on the forum learned how to work on their cars, sons watching dear old Dad!

I am sure you could drive over to a buddy's place and check it. I'm sure a friend will know how to do this, or car maintenance book, or THE INTERNET ;-)

This might save Dad a $2,500 tranny rebuild.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Depends on the day
Hold of with those 0-60 times until you get your fluids checked. These transmissions can take a beating and are tough as nails, but only when they're taken care of. Tread softly when it comes to your trans acting up.

Originally Posted by 190E 16V
Tell your Dad you think it is slipping, and ask him to show you how to check. Watch your dad while he checks the fluid level, to learn how.
ThT's how 99% of the people on the forum learned how to work on their cars, sons watching dear old Dad!
Holding the flashlight is how its done. Who knew after watching the old fart work on cars would able me to rebuild an engine. Not bad for an 18yo kid eh?
Old 01-23-2011, 02:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1987 560SL
Originally Posted by bsmuwk

Holding the flashlight is how its done. Who knew after watching the old fart work on cars would able me to rebuild an engine. Not bad for an 18yo kid eh?
Yep, can't be afraid to get your hands dirty or make mistakes. Having limited cash is a great incentive to DIY, and learn in the process.