E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

w124 fuel tank vent valve

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 e320 coupe sportline
w124 fuel tank vent valve

OK I need help Have been running around the web to find NO answer
here is problem
fuel tank wont take gas
have been told this is caused by a stuck fuel tank vent valve (regeneration valve) my car is a 94 e320 coupe where is this valve located on this car have read it is in left rear wheel well above axle and also in left front wheel well above rubber flap where the charcoal canister is supposed to be help me find this part I am tire of chasing my tail
thanks
hal steiner
Old 01-25-2011, 06:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1993 300D
Fuel Vent Valve

Hi Hal,

You might try blowing compressed air into the vent valve as I am told that they sometimes get clogged.

I have a '93 300D. I looked up the schematic for your car and it appears to be the same tank configuration.

The fuel tank vent valve is attached to the bottom of the fuel tank on the driver's side. You will need to jack up that side of the car in the rear and secure with a jack stand to crawl under there. Bring a flashlight.

The vent hangs from a hose that is secured in a well with a metal clamp. You will need needle nose pliers to squeeze the protruding nubs. The hose pulls off.

I did not see a part number associated with your model. The part number for my car is 2014760232. You can order it online. I like www.mbonlineparts.com. They are very helpful and the prices are good. The vent cost $27.75 there. Parts are shipped within two days. You can contact them to be sure you get the right part.

Caleb
Old 01-25-2011, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 e320 coupe sportline
fuel vent valve

thanks Caleb

you have been MOST helpful
this is tomorrows project
I also have seen a post about spraying WD40 into valve
Arthur Dalton says wd contains no silicone and wont harm cat will try that too as soon as i find the valve
Thanks again Hal
Old 01-25-2011, 09:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1993 300D
Hal,

The WD40 sounds like it is worth a try.

By the way, I completely drained my tank before removing the tank vent. I actually don't know if fuel will come pouring out, so you might brace yourself for that possibility!

It sounds odd that the tank won't accept fuel. Could the filler neck have an obstruction? Also, I have been told that a clogged vent can lead the tank to cave in on itself. The lining at the back of the trunk comes out easily and allows you to examine the tank.

By the way, if you decide to remove the tank, you have to remove the vent and the supply hose (on the passenger side of the car) to get it out of the trunk. The supply hose is hard to get off. You have to detach it from the metal fuel line and then maneuver a box end wrench over the hose and onto the fitting. I believe it was 17 mm (maybe 19 mm?). I found that a ratcheting box end wrench worked best. After that, there are two bolts on either side of the tank inside the trunk that hold it in place. The filler neck and its rubber gasket pull out with the tank. You also need to unplug the fuel sending unit before pulling the tank out. The connection simply pulls off.

Good luck tomorrow!

Caleb

Last edited by CCMcC; 01-25-2011 at 09:18 PM. Reason: forgot a detail
Old 08-27-2020, 01:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1996 W124 E220 Manual Transmission
Hi

I have been reading this thread while looking for a solution to a unique problem I have with my W124, and I am hoping I can get some advice please.

My vehicle has this tendency to "leak fuel" which only happens when the vehicle has stayed parked from Monday - Friday (weekend driver), and also only at first start after the 5 days. It is quite a lot of fuel that spills out, to the extend that it leaves a trail behind the car for a few 100 meters. And then it stops, for the rest of the weekend there are no fuel leaks whatsoever. Sunday evening she gets parked again until the next weekend, and the cycle starts all over again.

Am I barking up the wrong tree in thinking that it could be the fuel tank vent valve, or can someone perhaps relate to this and give more accurate advice surrounding this exact issue?

any help will be greatly appreciated :-)

Thanks