E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Multiple lights out at once?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 02:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK55 Cabriolet (DEAD: 1989 300E, 1984 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible)
Multiple lights out at once?

My '89 300E just did something strange.

Everything was fine one day and then the next day, when I got into the car at night and went to turn on the lights, the light dash indicator came on and the next thing you know, I'm noticing that the dashboard backlight is off, the lights behind the 5 A/C+heater buttons is off, the front right side light is off, and the back right-side running lights are off!

I thought maybe the dashboard backlight was just the connector and I jiggled the light level stick, but that wasn't it.

The green turn signal indicators still work, the other lights in the center console work (e.g. air recycle red LED, rear defroster yellow LED), all other bulbs seem to be OK. Both headlamps are fine, brake lights seem to be fine as well.

A non-Mercedes-owning friend opined that perhaps my battery is getting low/dead? Or problems with the alternator? But the car starts just fine, no problems there.

What the heck is going on here?