E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Help! Sudden Starting/Running Isuues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1991 300e 3.0l
Help! Sudden Starting/Running Isuues

I have read many threads and searched for threads and answers still with no solution. I have found similar issues but, none exact. I even found one that asked the person if they held the plate down and it started, they never replied so I got no answer Grrr.

I have a Bronze 1991 300e 3.0l with 233,000mi When I first purchased the car It had an idle of around 1000 A bit high but manageable, before I had a Chance to diagnose and fix the problem I took it to get a NYS inspection. When I picked up the car the mechanic said that I should check the starting and idle problem. What I didn't realize was that he meant that they couldn't get it started, and it had a low and rough Idle a bit below 500. Driving it home it was sluggish and did not respond to the the throttle. it would bog down on normal acceleration but seem to push a bit when lifting back off of it. If I got on it hard It would pop from the air flow plate under the air cleaner, and possibly backfire. Then it would rev up but not really accelerate much, like driving with your foot on the floor in first gear, as I slowly lifted off the accelerator it changed gears again and gradually accelerated to speed. at 60+mph it was fine no issue But When trying to pass, had diminished power. When slowing down the problem started all over.

Here is what I have discovered If I put a shim in place on the plate, the car starts and idles with no problem. as soon as I pull it out the problem is there again, or it Just stalls, however if I'm driving it around town I have no problem starting it if it's warm, but it still runs the same.
Sometimes It will start right up, the idle at 1000 gradually to 1200 then dropping back to 1000 repeatedly. It will be like this sometimes for several days sometimes only a few hours, Then back to the low idle.

I checked and power is going to all the sensors, (whether they are functioning or not is another question) I have no lights on the dash, but I now suddenly have developed a tick in the engine 3rd to 4th cylinder, I don't know if it's related or not.

This car is not a daily driver, Maybe 100mi week tops. But it is my only transportation right now.