E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

300D Flickering Center Console Lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 09:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1993 300D
300D Flickering Center Console Lights

When I bought my 1993 300D I noticed that the center console lights and the vent lights flickered intermittently, especially (but not always) when the brake was applied.

After the attempts at repair listed below, these lights now only flicker if I have my foot on the brake when I turn the headlights off. If I turn the lights off but do NOT step on the brake for 10 seconds or so the circuit seems to de-energize. Stepping on the brake at that point does not cause the lights to flicker. The lights do not flicker when I step on the brake with the headlight switch in the off position. Occasionally, the center console and vent lights will NOT come on when I switch on the headlights. Turning the headlights off and on seems to correct this.

What I have tried: cleaning and tightening the ground wire connectors behind the instrument cluster, in front of the gear shift under the center console, and in the trunk.

I replaced: the instrument cluster rheostat, the red plastic fuse in the instrument cluster, the stoplight switch, and the headlight switch. I installed new Mercedessource copper-clad fuses to de-conflict the metals in the fuse box. I have also replaced the auxiliary belt tensioner and dampener on the front of the engine (which was needed anyway).

Using dielectric grease on the contacts in the headlight switch connector seems to have helped, but did not cure the problem.

Other than wondering if there could be a short in the connector that attaches to the headlight switch, I am at a dead end.

Not sure if anyone out there has chased this particular gremlin down before.

Thanks,

Caleb

Last edited by CCMcC; 02-23-2011 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 05-31-2012, 09:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1993 300D
Update!

Well, I finally fixed the flickering center console lights. There was a short in the passenger side tail light. I replaced the bulb assembly using the same part from the back of a Grade A used tail light purchased for $50 at a local boneyard. Voila! Fixed!

I found a post on the Peachtree forum that pointed me in the right direction--a short in the tail light assembly causing the exact same problem: flickering center console lights when the brake pedal was depressed. In my case, the short got progressively worse to the point where the marker lights barely lit up.

I first tried disassembling the tail light assembly but could not find an obvious short circuit. I also popped the cover off the plug assembly to check for a short there. What a mistake! The wires got all mixed up and it was only through trial and error (and a blown fuse) that I got it straightened out. The connections in there are very stout. No need to check those. Trust me.

Last edited by CCMcC; 05-31-2012 at 09:06 PM. Reason: correction