E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

'93 E320 rattling noise from engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 03:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi 100 TQ Sport Exklusiv
'93 E320 rattling noise from engine (update)

A couple of days ago I heard this rattling/clicking noise from the front of my '93 E320. It's coming from the front/top of the engine. It varies with engine speed. Not louder, but more rattling with more engine speed.
When the engine is cold there's no sound at all, but when the engine get's heated up the sound slowly comes to life.
I've driven 200 miles after the sound first appeared, and it doesn't seem to get any worse. I also did an oil change, but that didn't change anything. The old oil wasn't the best I've seen but by far the worst. The engine has good oil pressure, goes directly up to 3.

What could this be? The belt tensioner?

Last edited by little_e; 03-24-2011 at 08:48 AM.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:49 AM

Anyone?
Old 03-23-2011, 08:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1987 560SL
Originally Posted by little_e
A couple of days ago I heard this rattling/clicking noise from the front of my '93 E320. It's coming from the front/top of the engine. It varies with engine speed. Not louder, but more rattling with more engine speed.
When the engine is cold there's no sound at all, but when the engine get's heated up the sound slowly comes to life.
I've driven 200 miles after the sound first appeared, and it doesn't seem to get any worse. I also did an oil change, but that didn't change anything. The old oil wasn't the best I've seen but by far the worst. The engine has good oil pressure, goes directly up to 3.

What could this be? The belt tensioner?
More likely the timing chain and/or the chain guides and tensioner.

I would get a mechanic to pull the Valve Cover and check the chain for slop.
If it's loose and slips a cog, then you have problems.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:25 AM

This sounds expensive.
I can also add that the sound seems to be coming from the left (sitting in the driver's seat) of the engine, not the engine itself.
Btw, my car has about 181500 miles on the clock.

Last edited by little_e; 03-23-2011 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:12 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Car free at the moment
It's the shock absorber for the belt tensioner. The plastic bushing dries out and becomes loose, permitting some movement. It sounds like an old diesel at idle, but becomes quiet at engine speeds above idle.

The shock is not expensive, nor is it diffucult to replace. Used to be a ~$25 part, though it's been a while since I bought one.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Shadow5501
It's the shock absorber for the belt tensioner. The plastic bushing dries out and becomes loose, permitting some movement. It sounds like an old diesel at idle, but becomes quiet at engine speeds above idle.

The shock is not expensive, nor is it diffucult to replace. Used to be a ~$25 part, though it's been a while since I bought one.
Ah. Sounds a bit cheaper.
The sound is there throughout the entire RPM range though. Seems to be one rattle pr rpm.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1987 560SL
Originally Posted by Shadow5501

I hope Shadow is right.
My car is the V8. I had the belt tensioner go as well. The engine heat dried out the rubber mount. However, not only was there noise, the failure was accompanied with squealing from a loose belt, and a high running temp.

Good luck
Old 03-23-2011, 06:49 PM

Ah. Sounds a bit cheaper.
The sound is there throughout the entire RPM range though. Seems to be one rattle pr rpm.
I think I know what part you are talking about. Can any of you give me a part number?
Old 03-24-2011, 08:51 AM

I have listened more and more to this sound. It's not a rattle, it's more of a whining/grinding sound. Could it be the water pump? When the engine is cold, the sound is almost never there, but sometimes it comes, then goes away. I believe the water pump is situated at the left of the engine.

Last edited by little_e; 03-24-2011 at 08:54 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts
AMG
I have listened more and more to this sound. It's not a rattle, it's more of a whining/grinding sound. Could it be the water pump? When the engine is cold, the sound is almost never there, but sometimes it comes, then goes away. I believe the water pump is situated at the left of the engine.
Water pump or air pump would be my guess based on the grinding.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:00 PM

Since the air pump is situated at the right of the engine, and the sound is coming from the left I would say the water pump then
Old 03-25-2011, 10:54 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Car free at the moment
If it's not a rattle, then perhaps the waterpump. The tensioner shock makes the engine sound like an older diesel at idle. It's easy to diagnose if the tensioner shock is rattling. With the engine idling, use a piece of wood (broomstick is good) or long screwdriver and push down on the top mount of the shock. Be very careful, you are very close to the running serpentine belt! If the noise stops, the shock is the source of the rattle.

A grinding or bad bearing noise could be a couple of things. The water pump is certainly one of them. The fan bearing bracket is another. This is the pulley upon which the engine driven fan spins. They usually last about 150K miles.

Your problem should be easy to diagnose. You just need a mechanic to loosen the serpentine belt, then check each pulley to determine which one has play and/or does not spin smoothly. Then replace the offending item