E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Carbon Fibre Parts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e400
Carbon Fibre Parts

Recently I've been considering making some of my own carbon fibre parts. I've done some research and it doesn't seem too hard to do....once you have the mold.

The mold seems like the hardest part to make, and I don't really understand it completely.
So to make the mold, do i just take the piece im looking to make carbon fibre off the car and craft a mold using that?

It seems like an easy but time consuming DIY. Anyone have any advice on how to make the parts or the mold? Or maybe what not to do?
Old 05-04-2011, 07:33 PM

e400
Bump.
No one has any advice for the carbon fibre?

Sometime next week im going to attempt to make some of my own real carbon fibre parts.
And if i make them sucessfully i may be able to make some parts for anyone who wants them.
Would anyone maybe be interested in some CF parts if i can make them well?
Old 05-05-2011, 12:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1990 300ce 24v I6
CF work isn't cheap, and it isn't easy.

That being said, if you're actually good at it sure, I may commission you to do something eventually. But I'm picky, the parts would have to be damned near perfect.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
Originally Posted by zach1328
Recently I've been considering making some of my own carbon fibre parts. I've done some research and it doesn't seem too hard to do....once you have the mold.

The mold seems like the hardest part to make, and I don't really understand it completely. So to make the mold, do i just take the piece im looking to make carbon fibre off the car and craft a mold using that?

It seems like an easy but time consuming DIY. Anyone have any advice on how to make the parts or the mold? Or maybe what not to do?
Great to attempt DIY but with no experience you might as well burn your money..

The mold is the easy part as it's taken from the part you're trying to replicate..

The hard part is laying up the fiber, be it very expensive carbon fabric or basic fiberglass...
Very difficult if the part is meant to be structural.
If you've never laid up or worked with fiberglass then not wise to start with CF....
The techniques are similar, but the CF material is much more expensive.

Do some research...find the cost of fabric and the required resins to make a part..

Just get some 3M DI-NOC and wrap your parts...you won't know the difference..
Old 05-05-2011, 04:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'91 C124 300CE,'06 ML 500 W164, '00 BMW MCOUPE, '65 COBRA REPL.
I'm with the above guys on this.
I have actually attempted to do this. I bought the fiber, the resins, did research etc.
Failed!!!
It is very hard, very labor intensive and you need to have the knowledge. With patience and money one can succeed, but a bunch of money will be required for the failed parts.
If you do want to attempt it, ebay has the stuff you will need.
I attempted to create a flat large piece as an experience, it turned out OK, but not perfect. If it is not perfect it is not going in my cars. I was attempting to make parts for my Cobra.
In my 300CE I went with 3M dinoc as suggested by Ed and am very happy with the results.
Here is my interior. I covered the cracked wood with it. Very cost effective.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:03 PM

e400
Well I've looked up all the stuff i need and i can probably pick most of it up from stores around my area, except the Carbon fibre.
I know the CF is pretty expensive, but i was going to start with small, basic, flat parts until i get the hang of it.

I've done some fiberglass stuff in the past, mainly just repairing it but it doesn't seem to different to me.

I've got the time and enough money to make some parts so i don't see why I can't do it, or atleast give it a shot.
The best CF makers in the world had to start somewhere...

As long as im careful with the outside layers i think i should be fine. The inner layers still have to be decent but they won't be seen. I figured i can just take as much time as i need on the outside ones then speed it up on the inside layers as they wont be seen.

Right now im still trying to hunt down the most basic small part in my car that I can start with.

EDIT:
That wrap turned out pretty nicely but im going for all of the benefits of the real carbon fibre. Weight isn't really a big issuse because im only going to be doing small pieces but its about the same strength as still which i find very beneficial.
Also i like the very glossy finish of carbon fibre. The wood on the W124's kind of has a glossy finish aswell, so i think it would look great with real carbon fiber.
Any ideas???

Last edited by zach1328; 05-05-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1990 300ce 24v I6
Strength in CF is directional along the axis of the fibers. Make sure you lay it properly to get strength in the axis it is needed.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
Originally Posted by zach1328
Well I've looked up all the stuff i need and i can probably pick most of it up from stores around my area, except the Carbon fibre.
I know the CF is pretty expensive, but i was going to start with small, basic, flat parts until i get the hang of it.
Try to find a kit that includes the fabric and all else you need.
Everything has to be compatible, it's not random.

http://www.eastbaycomposites.com/

http://store.carbonfibergear.com/car...Fcbc4AodnA0liQ

I've done some fiberglass stuff in the past, mainly just repairing it but it doesn't seem to different to me.
Repairing is much different then hand laying...you can't add or subtract or sand out imperfections as in a repair

As long as im careful with the outside layers i think i should be fine. The inner layers still have to be decent but they won't be seen. I figured i can just take as much time as i need on the outside ones then speed it up on the inside layers as they wont be seen.
The inner layer is the finished face as it is against the mold...
What are you making your mold from?

Also i like the very glossy finish of carbon fibre. The wood on the W124's kind of has a glossy finish aswell, so i think it would look great with real carbon fiber.
Any ideas???
You do know that carbon fiber has a raw finish unless you coat the mold surface with gel coat prior to laying your first piece of fabric....

Last edited by RBYCC; 05-06-2011 at 08:47 AM.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W124 E Cabrio, 997 Porsche cabrio
The most important thing will be how clean & strong your molds are. After that, you will have to practice on getting the carbon to lay down in the mold w/o damaging it & avoiding air pockets. I've been doing this for the past 12yrs & till this day I still hate doing exposed carbon. I've done several 124 wood trim replacements. I have a few pix on my web-site if you want to get some ideas to help you out. www.SoCalCarbon.com

Kind regards,
A.S.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:25 PM

1996 E320 Sportline Cabriolet x 2
Where are you at with you're Cabrio now......
Old 05-13-2011, 02:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W124 E Cabrio, 997 Porsche cabrio
Originally Posted by WDB124066
Where are you at with you're Cabrio now......
Lol. It's sitting in my backyard under a cover. It's about 75% done. Haven't had time to really work on any ofmy projects lately. I'll post some progress when I get a chance.