E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Help for beginner PLEASE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help for beginner PLEASE

Hi. Have always fancied a late 80's W124 estate and am finally about to buy one.!?
I could do with a "top 4 common faults / probs to look for" list to help me choose something half decent. A mechanic friend told me to "test the compression" - what does he mean and exactly how do I do it?? I'm probably going for a 200 auto, or a 230 manual. Would appreciate any thoughts. Many thanks
Old 05-22-2003, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rickki

you don't say where you are located, judging by the models you have listed you aren't in the u.s.

air conditiong systems are prone to failure.

radiators break at the plastic neck [at top]

rear glass/liftgate struts can also where out and gate won't stay up.

also i believe they are prone to rust at side rear glass. gaskets fail.

i wish you good fortune making your choice.

peter
Old 05-24-2003, 12:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 58 Posts
Had: 1987 300TD, Had: 2004 C230 Sport Sedan, Have: 2014 E350 Sport, Have: 2019 S450
W124s of this age typically suffer from worn rubber bushings in the rear suspension. This results in a loose feeling (as if driving on ice) from the rear. Replacement is not too expensive, if you are a do-it-yourself kind of person. 4 hours and about US$300 will make the rear like new again.

Tailgate struts are also known weak points, but also cheap/easy to fix.

I would be more concerned about the expensive parts: Engine, transmission, air conditioning system, cooling system, exhaust system.

Climate control was notoriously flaky in these cars. Be certain to test all modes (AC, heat, defrost). Check that air of the desired temperature is coming from the correct outlet (check the owners manual for description of proper operation). The controllers for the climate control are a small fortune to replace.

Drive the car through town, and watch the temperature gauge. It shouldn't go above 100C during normal driving. Also check the oil pressure gauge at idle, it should remain above 1 bar.

Of course, check the obvious: work all of the windows/sunroof through the full range of motion. Open all doors, make certain that they open and close smoothly. If there is a severe 'hitch' when trying to close the door (not the normal detent at 2/3 open), new check straps are needed (again, relatively cheap to replace - but good to use in price negotiations).

Oil leaks are normal for these cars, and wouldn't scare me away, unless you can see the oil actively dripping (a drip here and there is typical) - provided the oil leak is from a leaking gasket. You don't want to see oil leaking from any of the seals on the engine (front or rear crankshaft seals), transmission, or rear end. These are rather pricey, and fairly involved to repair.

To test the engine compression, you need a compression tester. If you don't know how to do it, then it would be best to pay a mechanic familiar with MB cars to inspect it. He can also put it on a lift, and you can check the underside for hidden/repaired damage.

Excellent examples of the W124 can be found from the late '80s. Good luck with your search.