E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Uh oh - Red Fluid Leaking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2003, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Uh oh - Red Fluid Leaking

Hey everyone-
I was just getting over a cold and we just had three of the most beautiful days in Chicago. Figures. Anyway, I haven't driven my car at all since Friday morning and before we cleaned out the garage today I needed to move both the G and the two 300E's out. Well, after pulling mine out first I noticed a BIG spot of reddish fluid. I'm assuming that this is transmission fluid, and the mechanic told me before that I had a cracked oil pan, but it didn't look like anything serious. I've lost all hope in my mechanic after paying him $2,000 a couple weeks ago to fix a stalling problem that he couldn't fix and that I figured out on my own (and with the help of you guys) after getting it back. My mechanic only gives me a bunch of

A couple things confuse me though.

-I've never seen a leak like this one, but I've also always driven my car at least every 12-14 hours. This past weekend I haven't driven it for 72 hours. Did this long period contribute to this?

-I just converted to synthetic Mobil 1 15W/50. Did this contribute?

-Was this caused by a cracked oil pan? Should that have gotten fixed when the mechanic saw it?

Also, what should I do now? Can I just refill the transmission fluid? Did it get mixed with oil somewhere? Anything I'm missing? I'm confused! I'm Scared!

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 05-26-2003, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 36 Posts
Had: 1987 300TD, Had: 2004 C230 Sport Sedan, Have: 2014 E350 Sport, Have: 2019 S450
If the oil is red, then I don't think that the problem is Engine oil.

In order to find the true cause, you'll need to remove the plastic belly pan, and attempt to locate the actual leak.

On my '87300TD, I suffered transmission leaks from a couple of places:
Transmission Input Shaft (big $$$$)
Transmission Pan gasket (little $$)
Leaking trans fluid hose from transmission up to transmission cooler (in front of car) (minimal $$)

If you take the belly pan off of the car, lay a large piece of cardboard or paper underneath, so that you can identify the location of the drip. Keep in mind that sometimes you have to follow the leak up from the drip, to the actual point of the leak.

Good Luck.
Old 05-27-2003, 08:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
'00 S320 W220, '98 A160 W168/ sold in 2005 '86 260 E W124 '90 260E W124
Are you sure it is transmission oil? Sometimes the P/S also uses reddish fluid. Simple to find out. Chek the level in P/S reservoir or just start the engine and try to turn the steering wheel, either it is very hard to move or it make loud noises or even both. I had this once and it is okay one day and next morning there is a puddle of fluid under the car. Then you need a new P/S gear. Wild guess 1.8 to 2 k$
Old 05-27-2003, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOL, well the funny thing is I heard people say its TF, its power steering, its brake fluid. The thing is that the transmission still shifts smooth, the steering is still easily turnable, and the brakes are working up to par. This one I can't crack on how the car is doing.

However, I think it is the ATF. I never did think it was engine oil, i just wasn't sure how many pans there were for transmission and oil. Now I realize a transmission pan and an oil pan.

Thanks, dmatre, the only problem is I need a lift. I did get under there and saw some red droplets coming from the belly of some pan under the front passenger seat, so its probably ATF.

Thanks for all your help guys.

You think if I take this to a dealership, they won't rip me off too bad?
Old 05-27-2003, 09:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 36 Posts
Had: 1987 300TD, Had: 2004 C230 Sport Sedan, Have: 2014 E350 Sport, Have: 2019 S450
In the 124 belly pan, there are a couple of drain holes at about the location of the front seats. This can be very misleading, as fluid that drips onto the bellypan in the front of the car, can wind up dripping through these drain holes under the seats.

You can always have the dealer diagnose the problem, and then decide if you want them (or someone else) to fix it.

My TD suffered from lethargic acceleration. Took it several places, and nobody could figure it out. Took it to the dealer, they diagnosed a worn diesel injection pump. Wanted $2300 + labor to replace.

Paid them for diagnosis, bought reman injection pump and paid a local shop specializing in Benz repair (although couldn't find the original problem) to replace the pump. Total was $1500.

While the dealer has all of the equipment necessary for a proper diagnosis, sometimes they are ridiculous in what they want to charge for repairs.