E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

1990 300E Sputtering/Slow acceleration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2011 | 07:39 PM

1990 Mercedes Benz 300E
1990 300E Sputtering/Slow acceleration

I have a 1990 300E with the 3.0L engine that has two problems which I'm not sure are related to one another or two seperate issues. The two problems are the following:

1) The vehicle starts up fine but immediately after start up it seems to sputter and seems to want to stall out but for just a sec unless I give it some gas. If i try revving up the engine it sputters. After I let the car warm up for about 5 minutes the sputtering goes away.

2) The second problem is that it seems to have a slow acceleration and does not seem to have the power that it should have. It will hesitate and then all of a sudden it kicks in and it bucks.

Here is a little bit of info on the vehicle and some of the things that were done to it:

1) Not sure on the exact mileage since the odometer isn't working but it has about 200,000 miles on it.
2) The OVP Relay is new.
3) Spark plugs, rotor, and distributor were just changed last week.I did not change the spark plug wires since they were changed about three years ago and look to be in great condition.
4) Checked under air cleaner and the EHA is not leaking any fuel.
5) Fuel Pump, fuel filter, and ECU were changed about 3 years ago. The car was not used much at all in the last two years until recently.
6) The "check engine" light is NOT on. (not sure if that would rule out the oxygen senor since I believe normally if an oxygen sensor was faulty that this light would come on?

I appreciate any help I can get in trying to figure out a solution to repair these problems. Thanks
Old 07-05-2013 | 01:20 PM

1989 300E
Same problem!

I also seem stall sometimes after long highway drives when I reach my first stop. I see you've changed you OVP, I've replaced:

air filter
spark plugs/wires
rotor and cap
coolant temp sensor
O2 sensor
idle air control valve

All parts are new. I've adjusted the A/F ratio properly as well, and checked the throttle cable. Wish I knew what to do here, car can be dangerous pulling into traffic so slowly.

I realize I'm bringing an old post back to life here, this is officially my first post and I should mention I'm a Mercedes mechanic without all the software. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-23-2013 | 03:01 PM
Out Of Control!!
Veteran: Army

1999 E300TD
Spend the 21 bucks for a 24 hour subscription to WIS------as you know there are mounds of "124 mixture information" available to print!!!