E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Remote - How to obtain, program, and the various types (E200 W124 1994)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E200 (W124) 06.06.1995
Remote - How to obtain, program, and the various types (E200 W124 1994)

Hi folks,

I recently acquired an old Mercedes E200 W124 (Old shape first registered 06.06.1995).

The remote entry "key" is missing. The Owners' Manual states that the remote (a one button type with flip out metail key to start car) works off of infrared.

I am therefore confused as to how the remotes I see listed on eBay and various other sites would be compatible given that it appears they work by radio signal (is that corect?).

Do I take it then that there were two different types of keyless entry on the W124 vehicles, infrared and radio signal, or am I misunderstanding something?

I am not after a new alarm system really, as I don't have the time, money, or inclination to fit one.

I can't swear to it, but I don't think my particular car even has an alarm/immobiliser fitted (wouldn't surprise me given Mercedes' notorious habit of making the most basic things a billable optional extra). The reason I say this is that the centre console instrument panel doesn't have the red dot LED that indicates alarm armed/disarmed. I think mine just came with keyless entry and no accompanying alarm/security system as strange as it may seem (and unless my interpretation of the Owner's Manual is incorrect, this seems to be how Mercedes sold these cars i.e. remote opening with alarm or without alarm immobiliser and for both types use flip-out metal key to start car).

All I am really after is getting a compatible flip key remote so that I can enter the car remotely without the irritation of going around to the passenger side to open the car manually with the metal key and then walking back around to my side of the car to get in and drive off.

And can infrared devices actually be programmed in the way outlined for what appear to be remotes working by radio signal?

I did find this regarding key programming, what do you think?: http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/Mercedes-B...00000007277333

Thanks in advance.

plevyadophy