E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Door speaker size?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2003, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Door speaker size?

I tried a search, but could not find a definitive answer. What size speaker do I buy to replace the ones down next to the seats in the front doors?
Old 05-29-2003, 04:48 PM

Mercedes-Benz 400E
I believe that the size is 4". Just remember that these are not full range drivers installed in the doors. You should replace them with a midrange since none of the good speaker companies make subs that small.
Old 06-03-2003, 06:01 PM

Mercedes-Benz 300D TURBO 1987
Replacing o.e. speakers

Mercedes speakers are not four ohm and, more importantly, they are not coaxial! They cannot produce high frequencies. Almost all aftermarket speakers are coaxial. Advice regarding speaker replacement depends on which model/year car you have. P.
Old 06-09-2003, 04:59 PM

I have a '93 coupe

The speaker grilles look too big for a 4in speaker in the door. Of course, the grille may not represent the size of the speaker. My guess is 5.25. I want to purchase the speakers prior to removing the door panel, so I don't want to think, or guess, or believe they are such and such size, I want to KNOW. Anyone that REALLY KNOWS?
Old 06-09-2003, 11:11 PM

Mercedes-Benz 300D TURBO 1987
speakers in doors

If you own a '93 CE you would only want to put a speaker in a factory location. That said, I would not expect anything larger than a 5.25" coxial would fit. All aftermarket speakers are four ohms, designed to match an aftermarket head unit. They are all made "offshore" and are very similar in sound. They differ only in effficiency which is why some play louder than others. They are designed to look different. Infinity speakers tend to be brighter. Kenwood, Alpine, Sony, Pioneer, Clarion, Kicker, Fosgate, Cerwin Vega, Earthquake (all Asian) are all good. The best speakersynaudio, Focal, MB Quart, Morel, Vifa, Audax are more costly, but sound better. All are four ohms and to get the best sound, wire a four channel amplifier between the CD head unit and the speakers. Do not use the o.e. fader. The head unit has an electronic one. P.