E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

How To Solve Wheel Hop?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 05:44 AM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
2006 C55 AMG 6 speed
How To Solve Wheel Hop?

Hey guys,

So yesterday it rained for a while (in August, in the Middle East. Weird, huh?) and I tried to slide my car around a bit, but I had SEVERE wheel hop issues. I assumed after I changed out my shocks, and replaced ALL the bushings, the problem would go away. Apparently it hasn't! So, what can I do to eliminate this?

According to my research, even stiffer shocks/springs, solid mounts, transmission braces, and lower profile tires help with this issue.

Before inventing the atom all over again, anyone have those issues and input on how they solved it?
Old 08-31-2011, 05:46 AM

2006 C55 AMG 6 speed
Oh, and some guy on a DSM forum used Urethane window sealer and filled out his engine/tranny mounts, and it apparently made a world of difference. What do you think of that solution?
Old 08-31-2011, 08:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
Originally Posted by Shoomakan
Hey guys,

So yesterday it rained for a while (in August, in the Middle East. Weird, huh?) and I tried to slide my car around a bit, but I had SEVERE wheel hop issues. I assumed after I changed out my shocks, and replaced ALL the bushings, the problem would go away. Apparently it hasn't! So, what can I do to eliminate this?

According to my research, even stiffer shocks/springs, solid mounts, transmission braces, and lower profile tires help with this issue.

Before inventing the atom all over again, anyone have those issues and input on how they solved it?
Zade

I'm assuming that the wheel hop isn't under acceleration caused by axle wind up but while you are driving hard on what may be an irregular road surface?

If this is the case a lowered,stiff suspension with a short strut/shock travel will induce wheel hop.

Increased stiffness and less movement in a suspension over an irregular road surface equates to it's inability to provide enough travel to maintain a consistent tire contact patch.

Main reason I use Bilstein HD's instead of Sports with my H&R Sport springs on a steet driven build.
A track only suspension would be built differently but still requires suspension movement.

Every component in a suspension system starting with the tire sidewalls must have some movement to absorb road shock.

Ed A.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:24 AM

2006 C55 AMG 6 speed
I see your point, Ed, but I don't have any aftermarket suspension parts OR stiffer bushings. Everything replaced was up to standard specs!
Old 08-31-2011, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
I see your point, Ed, but I don't have any aftermarket suspension parts OR stiffer bushings. Everything replaced was up to standard specs!
Zade

What were the road conditions...wet? damp?
Road surface smooth? rough? washboard?

You were trying to "slide" as in "drift" ?
Wheels locked? ABS engaging?

What size tires?
Maybe not enough or too much sidewall flex if you are trying to drift?
Sidewalls are the first element in road shock absorbtion and if you're not getting the correct sidewall movement due to unusual lateral force they may cause the tire contact patch to distort and "skip"

If your suspension is stock and is up to spec then it may have been an anomaly due to road and ambient conditions ?

Ed A.

Last edited by RBYCC; 08-31-2011 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:50 AM

2006 C55 AMG 6 speed
Conditions were wet, I don't like sliding the car on dry pavement much. Pavement was smooth, and I was tracking straight. If I'm in a corner, it never does it. I think that's because one wheel is spinning faster anyway, but in a straight line both tires are fighting for grip due to the LSD.

Tire size is 235/45/17, nothing obnoxious. ABS not engaging, either.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Conditions were wet, I don't like sliding the car on dry pavement much. Pavement was smooth, and I was tracking straight. If I'm in a corner, it never does it. I think that's because one wheel is spinning faster anyway, but in a straight line both tires are fighting for grip due to the LSD.

Tire size is 235/45/17, nothing obnoxious. ABS not engaging, either.
Conditions wet may have caused a bit of hydroplaning.
This condition is more apt to occur when tracking straight then when a turned wheel offers more resistance that breaks the surface tension of the water.
It doesn't have to be consistent because once you lose the contact patch the tire has a hard time maintining consistent traction.
A wet surface can sometimes emulate a washboard surface as the tire is fighting for traction.

If it doesn't hop on dry surfaces then you have no problem..
Wet surfaces and pushing until you hop or lose traction is not advisable
Old 08-31-2011, 11:06 AM

2006 C55 AMG 6 speed
Yeah, it BARELY hops on dry surfaces. And I think it's because my diff mounts are getting tired, nothing else.

Yeah, I know it's not advisable...

I just like throwing the car around with minimal engine effort, it feels less harmful that way. Besides the wheel hop, of course.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah, it BARELY hops on dry surfaces. And I think it's because my diff mounts are getting tired, nothing else.

Yeah, I know it's not advisable...

I just like throwing the car around with minimal engine effort, it feels less harmful that way. Besides the wheel hop, of course.