E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

trip odometer clicking/not advancing

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 300CE Cabriolet, 13 E350 Sport Wagon
trip odometer clicking/not advancing

Hi all,
The trip odometer cylinders are not upticking. In fact, there is a noticeable tick noise that the drive is turning every mile but fails to advance the count up. Easy fix or dealer nightmare?

Thanks,
Bob
Old 10-17-2011, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1990 300ce 24v I6
Hey Bob, happened to my 300ce a while back. I sometimes got it to cooperate by smacking the gauge cluster very firmly. However, the percussion technology approach is only ever a stop-gap measure.

I had my dad pull the cluster on my 300ce and send it to here: http://www.speedometer.com/

Rick did a great job fixing the cluster, and it appears that it will stay that way for a while.

Basically, either the teeth have worn or more likely, the gear has begun to slip/spin on the shaft/spindle and thus can not drive the odometer anymore.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
88 W124 300CE
Originally Posted by Saijin_Naib
Basically, either the teeth have worn or more likely, the gear has begun to slip/spin on the shaft/spindle and thus can not drive the odometer anymore.

Hey Saijin - couldn't you have fitted it with a new set of dentures ??
Then you could just "Slip them in and Slip them out"

Sorry, particularly self indulgent of me today !!!
Old 10-17-2011, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 300CE Cabriolet, 13 E350 Sport Wagon

I was told this click noise every mile is annoying, so by the time I get home its probably gonna be worn quiet. Not a big deal, I'll fiddle with it for a few hours and see what I can do. Or tape it down in the reset position to release the gear.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
88 W124 300CE
Originally Posted by klobbr

I was told this click noise every mile is annoying, so by the time I get home its probably gonna be worn quiet. Not a big deal, I'll fiddle with it for a few hours and see what I can do. Or tape it down in the reset position to release the gear.
Bob - might seem extreme but very often there are used gauge clusters for sale at quite reasonable prices - on eBay) etc. If you opt to replace yours you could also consider some of the following options prior to replacing the existing cluster :

1) plasma gauge illumination (I know not standard but the std. gauge illumination sucks)

2) white face gauges (very sports like (general came in AMG and Brabus etc - have a look at attached one's I am putting into my coupe)

3) upgrade all the current gauge lights to inexpensive LED's which give's much better illumination at night and still responds to tyhe dimmer switch.

Just a suggestion.

Ray
trip odometer clicking/not advancing-zender-gauge-dials-actual-product.jpg