E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Rust on Rockers / Shop Recommend

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 300TDT
Rust on Rockers / Shop Recommend

Hello,

Looking for recommendations in the NY/Westchester/Rockland (USA) area for body shops that aren't afraid of rust. I find a lot shops really want nothing to do with rust - which I've got some on the rocker/sills behind the front wheel as well as the Jack points. Just looking for a professional to give me an honest assessment without the judgment. Thanks.

Also, anyone have good success with this repair - or is it too much part of the integrity of the car to repair "easy" (I know it won't be cheap - but is it pointless too?)

Thanks.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:14 PM

1987 300TDT
To add to this - can replacement/donor rockers/sills come from a sedan or wagon (I have an 1987 wagon) - are they interchangeable?

Also later model rocker/still for the w124 different from the years (I see later models have the square jack hole cover and earlier the round)...but are they interchangeable otherwise?

Thanks
Old 11-29-2011, 05:04 PM

124 320ce amg widebody twin turbo, the nail
living in the uk, we have a lot of salt on our roads, like you in NY. so we alos have a lot of rust in our cars!

i have repaired all four of my jacking points, i just cut the rot back and made two plates for each hole.

i did it this way so as to make it easier to weld them on, each plate was a rectangle with a semi circle cut out to go round half the jacking tube.

placed one on the top, and the other on the bottom, 5mm over lap.

when welded on it looks a bit like a figure 8 around the jacking hole? hope you can picture what i mean...

just weld it on a small amount at a time and hammer it into place as you go.

easy.

the jacking tubes are mega strong, it wouldn't matter if the whole cill (rocker to you yankies?) rotted off, the body would be strong enough.

also welded random holes around the floor pan, and a couple of the body seams to boot.