E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Trim BLACK out?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2003, 03:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trim BLACK out?

Can anyone suggest a good way to dye/paint my factory grey doorhandles on my 300e? Would it be more effective to just replace them with black ones? Seems alot of work just for that though.... thanks a ton for any suggestions.
Old 07-14-2003, 08:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Maquire's 'Back to Black' is great stuff ....that's all I use on my cars black plastic parts.

Especially good on the grey MB handles...if they are real dry and faded, several applications are needed so be patient.
Old 07-14-2003, 11:31 AM

89 300E
Peanut butter.......yep, good old Jif!!
Old 07-14-2003, 01:52 PM

Originally posted by Jim's500E
Maquire's 'Back to Black' is great stuff ....that's all I use on my cars black plastic parts.

Especially good on the grey MB handles...if they are real dry and faded, several applications are needed so be patient.
I would do that. The product is really good!

Good Luck
Old 07-14-2003, 10:10 PM

swear to god-peanut butter...

i was skeptical also.

put a little bit in a paper towel, rub in on a tiny spot.

you'll see, it removes the oxidation and they look as GOOD AS NEW.

i have brown vinyl windows, they have faded/oxidized some. i thought i'd see if a little pb would clean it too.

my wife liked the look so much,it is my next saturday project

peter
Old 07-16-2003, 08:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mayonnaise works too...believe it or not. PB is also good for removing sticker residue. Never heard of it used as a plastic treatment though. I'll remember that next time I run out of the other stuff.

My bad previous, btw...it's Mother's "Back to Black"...not Mequire's as a said. Its in a smallish red bottle.
Old 07-16-2003, 10:59 AM
Almost a Member!

300TE 24v Sportline
Autoglym Bumper Care

I bought some of the aabove Autoglym Bumper Care the other day as my wifes cars bumpers had gone a horrid bleached grey. Used it on my door handles that like yours had gone grey and on my grille and roof bars.

Fabulous results. The door handles are now back to black but without any nasty residues. The coated metal roof bars and rain channel and windsheild trim has come up dark lustrous grey like when new.

Great product and easy to use.

Autoglym is used by Aston Martin, Mercedes, Rolls-Royce, Ferrari, McLaren and is by Royal Appointment to HM Queen Elizabeth II.

What better recommendation could you have! Mind you, don;t put it in a sandwich with some Jelly!! LOL.

Andy
Old 07-16-2003, 05:45 PM

Well, the thing is, my handles are actually grey from the factory....I have seen "paints" just for making trim grey but this seems like it wouldn't work very well. I would really like to have black handles but really don't want to actually replace them with black ones, unless that is the only way. Thanks alot for the input, which has actually answered other questions of mine indirectly!
Actually, if some of these products (like the Autoglym maybe?) actually turn faded balck items back to black, would it be logical to then assume there might be some type of dye to do so and therefore they would even turn factory grey items black?? hmm...

Last edited by Tecrekka; 07-16-2003 at 05:47 PM.
Old 07-17-2003, 04:30 AM
Almost a Member!

300TE 24v Sportline
Don;t do it

I used back to black (thick black stuff) to try to darken the faded grey bumpers on my wifes car. What a mess. It didn;t work.

The Autoglym product is actually a sort of green colour. It strips all the oxidisation and stains from the trim (irrespective of colour and weather its pure plastic (bumper strip) or plastic coated metal (door handles, windsheild trim). Brings it back to factory original.

I've never seen grey handles on a W124 here, so I guess that if you want black ones, you'll have to replace your grey ones. But check first that your grey ones arn;t just badly faded black handles.

Good luck.

Andy
Old 07-17-2003, 10:44 PM

if you guy's want to clean your door handles without spending any new money, TRY THE PEANUTBUTTER YOU HAVE IN THE CUPBOARD!!!

what do you have to lose??? it really works...

the grit and oil clean the oxidation.
Old 07-18-2003, 03:55 PM

89 300E
The handles are grey from age/oxidation, not because the came that color. Peanut butter WILL turn them black. It will also NOT streak the side of the car when it gets wet like 'Back to Black'. Just don't let the neighbors see you out there with the jar!! :p
Old 07-24-2003, 09:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Actually, some of the cars such as the SEC did come with grey handles...which I personally always thought looked dumb.

...the Cap'n is right...if you don't work in the 'Back to Black' and buff it as stated in the directions, it certainly will run after it rains...
Old 07-24-2003, 08:44 PM

500SEC
http://www.griotsgarage.com/index.jsp Got the stuff from Groits Garage, worked great!