E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

How to check if 4matic is working?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1988 E300 4matic
How to check if 4matic is working?

I suspect that my 4matic system is not working correctly. I have tried to spin the wheels on gravel, and it was marks behind the rear wheels but not the front wheels.

It was a little bit icy yesterday, and I was drifting through several roundabouts and no lights came on. The rear wheels was spinning.

How can I check if the 4matic system is working?
Old 12-03-2011, 09:24 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
1990 300ce supercharged and intercooled
Are you in the U.S.? If you are you could not get 4-matic until '90. If you can spin the tires and the little triangle in your dash does not light up then it is not working. If it is not working and your 4 matic warning light is not on then the computer probably is not working.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1988 E300 4matic
I live in Norway. Thats why I have a 1988 W124 with 4matic.

I think the computer (or at least some of it) is working, because a month ago the 4matic-light, ABS-light and the triangle was on. (4matic fault code was ten blinks.) Had to change the left ABS-sensor, brake light switch and the OVP relay. Now theres no yellow lights.

I might add that the engine sometimes dies when i brake (and only then). Some say that I have to change the fuel pump relay.

Also two times when I have started the car, the 4matic light comes on, and the fault code is nine blinks. I replaced the OVP relay, and the light disappeared. The second time it happened, I did not have more relays, so I tried the first one, and the light disappeared.

Confused now. Should I try to bleed the system? Or replace the computer?

Last edited by Timon; 12-03-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
300CE 24V Sportline 1991
Hello, this may interest ...

Originally Posted by Timon
I live in Norway. Thats why I have a 1988 W124 with 4matic.

I think the computer (or at least some of it) is working, because a month ago the 4matic-light, ABS-light and the triangle was on. (4matic fault code was ten blinks.) Had to change the left ABS-sensor, brake light switch and the OVP relay. Now theres no yellow lights.

I might add that the engine sometimes dies when i brake (and only then). Some say that I have to change the fuel pump relay.

Also two times when I have started the car, the 4matic light comes on, and the fault code is nine blinks. I replaced the OVP relay, and the light disappeared. The second time it happened, I did not have more relays, so I tried the first one, and the light disappeared.

Confused now. Should I try to bleed the system? Or replace the computer?
I cannot comment on 4-matic problems and, please, don't think I am trying to sell you anything.

That said, I have some parts from a 4-matic that came from Germany and I recovered the parts here in France. The parts are in France.

The parts I have are listed with numbers here:

http://www.rayhennig.com/sale/Merced...ar%20Parts.htm

That's all.

All the best.

RayH