E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Replacing center rearview mirror

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 300D Turbo
Question Replacing center rearview mirror

Hello, I was wondering if there is any 'trick' to getting the central rearview mirror mount back into place. The spring that holds it there is extremely stiff; despite the fact that it came out rather easily (high-five gone wrong), I cannot get it back in. Is there nothing to it except applying a lot of pressure? It is very difficult to get into a position with any leverage from either front seat.

Car is an '87 300D.

Thanks
Old 01-01-2012, 12:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
88 W124 300CE
Originally Posted by F/stop
Hello, I was wondering if there is any 'trick' to getting the central rearview mirror mount back into place. The spring that holds it there is extremely stiff; despite the fact that it came out rather easily (high-five gone wrong), I cannot get it back in. Is there nothing to it except applying a lot of pressure? It is very difficult to get into a position with any leverage from either front seat.

Car is an '87 300D.

Thanks
Hey F/Stop

I had the same issue mate but in the end after hours/days of frustration it just snapped back in.
Okay first things first, one side of the mount should appear a little worn. They are identical except that you should notice that there is a small amount of wear on the two metal clips (this is from memory mind you) on one side.
On mine this wear was on the right side of the mirror attachment.
Now I tried to put the thing back in from the drivers side (RIGHT SIDE) and thus was pushing the right side of the mirror in and then trying to work the other side in past the mirror mount in the roof. I tried everything a small screwdriver depressing the spring loaded metal knob didn't work as it is very hard to depress in the first instance.
Then after all that failed i tried attacking it whilst sitting in the LEFT SEAT but still trying to put the right side in first and then the left side after.
Again no joy but then out of the blue i tried putting the left side in first and whilst pushing the right side up i gave it a slight twist and POP in it went. No screwdrivers no bashing nothing extra required.
It's frustrating no doubt but mate persevere and it will go and easier than you think !
Old 01-01-2012, 04:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
500E Signal Rot
There are several ways that work well. I have this method illustrated in my installation guide.

Reference the picture. After you insert one end of the mirror into the roof mounted bracket (confirm the spring pin is actually seated into the bracket), apply upward pressure on the other end. Hold it in place and use a flat blade screw driver to depress the other pin. The mirror will pop into place and you just need to slowly pull your screw driver out (it will be pinned between the mirror base and headliner, assuming your still applying upwards pressure)

The other not so glamourus method is using a rubber mallet. Insert the mirror as mentioned above, make sure the actual mirror itself is rotated out of the way and using the end of a rubber mallet, strike the end of the mirror bracket with a upward motion. This will pop the mirror into its bracket.

Using a rubber mallet will ensure that you do not mar the rubber coating of the factory mirror base.
Attached Thumbnails Replacing center rearview mirror-kgrhqyokiie31qrwu4mboh-riqqy-0_12.jpg   Replacing center rearview mirror-install-17.jpg  
Old 01-01-2012, 05:37 PM

1987 300D Turbo
Success! Was able to mallet the mount into place, and despite feeling like I was going to snap it in half, fitted the mirror. Thanks!
Old 06-23-2013, 05:09 AM

E220 CDI Estate (2004)
Another method

I just managed to re-seat my mirror by inserting a flat ended screwdriver upwards into the spring mechanism and twisting the screwdriver to compress the spring a little bit, at the same time as pushing upwards. Bingo (after hours of stress and strain)!
Old 06-23-2013, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
500E Signal Rot
This video covers the installation of one of my auto dimming mirrors into a W116. You can see how I use a specific tool (included with my mirror) to ease the installation of the mirror. You can fabricate a similar tool yourself.

Old 07-04-2013, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1990 300ce 24v I6
It was a nightmare for me as well. I thought I was going to break myself and something in the car. However, well worth it