E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Engine Code Help Possible Wire harness issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 E-42ER White
Engine Code Help Possible Wire harness issue

Whats up guys Haven't been on here for a while

but here's the scoop

recently took my car to get a transmission rebuilt

reason i took it in

one day after work i was getting on the freeway

to go home as usual i get in with same speed as traffic 60-70 mph
out of no where my throttle stopped responding and left really lose like if the throttle wire was not connected WTF?

i stepped on it to about half way in and i felt the throttle come back but it was really stiff had to push it really hard....

so i pulled over to the side of the road stopped and looked at my gages check engine light wasn't on but abs and asr were on before this...

(the reason why those were on is because my alternator was replaced about two month before when the guy finished replacing it along with the wire that goes to the battery the ABS and ASR lights stayed on ? car ran good so i didn't pay attention OH the cruise control also was disable or something)

any ways as i was stopped on the side of the freeway i left the car on D i hit the gas but still unresponsive until i pushed it in more then half the car was started to move but the pedal was really still i kept driving it until i got home and then the next day i took it to get the transmission rebuilt bam done

so i get the car back great running tranny no kicks nothing then the same thing happened as before the car goes unresponsive and start tripping out

all light are one as before ASR ABS now check engine light my mech told me the previous mech disconnected the check engine light so i would be able to tell...

now i went to check the codes from the pulse check and first code i got was 6 (red LED light Blinked 6 times) i did it again and it blinked 18 times tried it one more time to see if i got another code but it was another 6 so only codes showing is

6 and 18

i'm having a hard time reading this

http://www.w124performance.com/docs/..._W124_M119.pdf
Old 02-07-2012, 03:53 PM

1994 E-42ER White
BUMP.... Anyone?
Old 02-07-2012, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
You took your car in to have the tranny rebuilt because it went into 'LH' mode (limp home) ?

It's not the tranny (as you now know)...you have an electrical problem...could be the wiring harnesses (known to deteriorate and I'd be surprised if the harnesses were the originals on your car at this point, do you know if they're the originals?). It could be easy and cheap like the neutral lock-out switch, could even be a brake lite switch causing the car to go into LH mode. Unfortunately, the codes don't always point to the problem on this vinatge MB either.

The 'LH' mode de-tunes/cuts power the car...so you can get it safely to a shop for repair. It's prolly not related to the ABS or ASR either....but LH mode usually lites up those lites on the dash.

Do a search on 'LH mode' or 'limp home' mode...it's a common problem to all W124s and the discussions were complete and exhaustive on the subject. Just take some time and read as much as you can to become more educated, perhaps tell your mechanic to read up on it too.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:32 PM

1994 E-42ER White
hell yeah man thanks alot they are the originals i never changed them and i'm pretty sure the previous owner didn't either...

my taillights are acting funny left side one works but when brake is pressed then id dims and right one is always on bright...

my transmission was kicking really bad so had to get that rebuilt sooner or later so might as well do it now....
Old 02-07-2012, 07:38 PM

1994 E-42ER White
i took it to get a new transmission cause it was kicking really bad....

but the LHM is hard to figure out so my mech is going to check it out....

but speaking of tail lights my left tail light is on and when i hit the brakes the light dims ....

right tail light is always on bright regardless if i push the brakes or not...

Dash light buld is off but the the warning lights work and button lights also work when i try to make them brighter they flicker on and off ?
Old 02-08-2012, 07:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I see now, I didn't get that the tranny actually needed to be rebuilt...

Peel back some of the wrapping around the upper wiring harness, like near a sensor, you'll be able to tell if the wires coatings are shot. I bet you see bare wire on wire in some places. God bless the car for making it this long on the originals though. My upper one was shot/done 13 years ago at like 90K miles. How many miles on yours?

It def sounds like your car has wiring issues. ie tailites. You might want to check that the right kind of bulbs are in the right spots back there first.

Anyway. it's pretty easy to replace the upper wiring harness yourself if that's the problem (couple of hours to do), unless you like to throw money to your mechanic !

The little brake pedal lite switch, nuetral lock-out, etc are cheap enough to DIY replace too while you are at it. Well, nuetral lock-out isn't that easy of a DIY unless you have a lift.