E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

[Long Post] Some alarming questions, some minor updates and minor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 300E, 1995 C280
[Long Post] Some alarming questions, some minor updates and minor

So guys its 6:30 am right now, and i've pretty much been trying to clean the car up a bit since about 1 am, because i couldn't sleep..
anyways ended up trying to take out the seats (man they were alot harder than my sedan) [and i could not get them fully out because i had no idea how the vacuum connections worked] and jesus christ the plugs for the coupe.. i swore so much i don't i'll have to swear for a while.. and good thing my seat motors and switches didn't die *crosses fingers*

i couldn't take a pic as my phone was pretty much dead, and i didn't care cause my girlfriend was asleep, and my boss.. who cares about my boss!! (pics i took later with phone, as it was charging while i was working]

it was horrible.. dirty and grimey would not even begin to describe it.
anyways i did as much as i could, well i didn't think it was going to be that bad, but man it was.. thank god i didn't find a condom, but i found all kinds of gunk, and bullets... yes bullets..
so i spent about 12$ vacuuming out everything i could, even the trunk, below the spare, even the engine bay, for the leaves and rocks..
and i swear i vacuumed out about 5lbs of rocks never again will i buy a neglected car.. just cause it had some receipts

anyways.. as i was putting the seats back on, which took a while, i did forget to mention i made one of those DIY code readers, which worked great, till i broke it.. i threw it somewhere in the trunk, and it got crushed and the solder ends broke off cause my tools.. no biggie.. mine has the little pushbutton and led built in..

codes are
5 Exhaust gas recirculation faulty - [probably because i'm missing a smog pump ]
10 Voltage at mass air sensor too high/low - [i think its cause the pic below]
11 Tn-signal (rpm signal ) at engine control module faulty - [no idea, but it cleared and stayed away even when i drove, the others stayed]
17 Data exchange malfunction between individual control module [no idea]
19 Injectors circuit open or circuit short emission control module adaptation in engine
control module at limit [doesn't sound good, but no idea]
25 Knock sensors or engine control module faulty [must be oil pressure sender going?]

(had a couple o2 sensor faults, but they were coming and going, probably 02 sensors going anyways)

another mention is my combination relay seems to fix itself, and die again, have planned to replace it soon.

this harness seems to be covered in "pvc wrapping tape" all over, i don't know how i missed this when i was buying the car :|
anyways, i took some of the tape off to see what its hiding, and bam.. raw wires.. they weren't even soldered or connected which worries me... and it was connected to this
right to the maf or whatever the little electronic plug is, connected to the air filter and was wondering why theres a zip tie there.. which even worries me more!

that seems to be a wire running from the battery, but it had a date so i was wondering if it is my wiring harness.

the date was 20 08 92.. which means its probably an original wiring harness if it does.. weird thing is my car's date says may, 1993, so i don't know if the pipes are plastic/steel.. for i think the gas lines? and i have no idea why the ovp isn't behind the shield and hanging like that, thats how the car came..

and some minor questions, how do you know if your window regulators are out? is it cause they squeek and rattle and click? or do they just need lubing?

can i use a sedan seat on the coupe just for the passenger's side, as that side doesn't need to roll back and its completely worn

how do i check if my gas tank is leaking? my gas gets lower everytime i sit in it for some odd reason.. i know id have to probably pull the gastank out, but doesn't gas evaporate right away?

how would i take off the passenger rear seat bottom and top? i tried pulling the tabs, but their so stiff they wont budge.. i think ill try when i get my breaker bar..

anyways.. i messed up.. YET AGAIN i bought another cheap expensive mercedes.. and yes i know the quote.. never again! i shall shop around till the last from now on..

but i have decided to keep the car to learn some diy for the m104 engines, and its not too bad as a daily (well it drinks alot of gas) but its still a good driver imo..
i'd sell it, but i have no idea how much i can get, and its going to be hard for me to afford even more than i already can't (i just got a root canal) so yeah its staying i guess..

i have my slightly smoked facelift tails that i'm going to have to wash soon, and put em on..

well thats it for now.. thanks guys all the info will be appreciated.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
wow, what a mess!
Old 02-17-2012, 02:41 PM

1987 300E, 1995 C280
aye to that.. damned ex-desert car
Old 02-17-2012, 03:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
86 W124
Your main harness needs to be replaced. It was either messed with to by-pass things to keep it running or most likely because its falling apart and they patched it.. Either way, that's just become the first step. All those codes and gremlins are most likely caused by that.

Look at similar pics, the ovp has a clip it just slides into to keep it above water.

Gas tank leak...proceed by smell.

Seats are coupe specific, some of the skins might swap but not the whole thing.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:10 PM

1987 300E, 1995 C280
as long as the seat bottoms switch out.. i'll be content for now.. i just want to get rid of those damned gremlins and etc..

contacted the previous owner.. he told me rats chewed up the harness, and he "patched it up" which makes sense. cause other parts of the harness are still good..

don't know how i didn't notice that.. i truely am foolish