E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Trying to remove driver seat from 1987 300E - Where exactly are the bolts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 04:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1987 Mercedes 300E Automatic 4-Speed
Trying to remove driver seat from 1987 300E - Bolt location - MYSTERY SOLVED!

There are a number of threads on the net discussing how to remove the front seats on a on a 1987 300E, but I am still confused as to exactly which bolts as none of the threads actually describe where they are, but just that they are in the front and back under the seat. I need to remove the seat to get at the relay and associated wires as I have ascertained it's not the switch. The seat won't go back or forward (but the headrest goes up and down and the back of the seat rotates forward and back).

There are two bolts that I can see the tops of that are vertical. There is one each on the front left and right side of the drivers seat. At the back of the seat I can see two bolts that are horizontal attached to the track. Are these the bolts I remove to take the seat out? Or, are there other bolts I haven't found yet that need to be removed.

Pic on left is the front vertical bolt I found (one on each side) and it was taken from the top of the seat facing the floor of the car. Pic on right is the back horizontal bolt (one on each side). Are these one the ones I need to remove to get the seat out? Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Trying to remove driver seat from 1987 300E - Where exactly are the bolts?-front.jpg   Trying to remove driver seat from 1987 300E - Where exactly are the bolts?-back.jpg  

Last edited by Toronto300E; 03-24-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1987 Mercedes 300E Automatic 4-Speed
POSTCRIPT: MYSTERY SOLVED

I had no responses but was able to figure it out.

And, so for the benefit of anyone else that might be as confused as I was as to the location of the bolts that hold the seat down, I've taken the time to take some pics and indicated where exactly they are. The front ones are where I indicated on the pic above. The rear ones were the ones I couldn't figure out.

Luckily, although the seat does not go forward and backwards, the seat and the backrest to tilt forward and back. So, I tilted the seat and backrest as far as they would go forward and lo and behold that exposed two bolts that it was impossible for me to see before. The left pic shows the back of the seat with everything tilted forward and the bolts are to the right of the 'L' and the 'R' that I placed on the pic in white lettering, for left and right bolt respectively, the 2nd and 3rd pics show the left and right bolts respectively (again to the right of the L & R) and the 4th pic shows the trim that must be taken off to the right of the 'S' to reveal another bolt that must be removed in order to remove the seat.

The right bolt does turn but the left doesn't, so I am applying some gunk that lubricates the bolt a bit and hopefully that will do the trick. Then once I get the seat out I have to somehow figure out if it is the wiring or the relay under the seat that is the problem.
Attached Thumbnails Trying to remove driver seat from 1987 300E - Where exactly are the bolts?-both.jpg   Trying to remove driver seat from 1987 300E - Where exactly are the bolts?-left.jpg   Trying to remove driver seat from 1987 300E - Where exactly are the bolts?-right-bolt.jpg   Trying to remove driver seat from 1987 300E - Where exactly are the bolts?-side-bolt.jpg  

Last edited by Toronto300E; 03-24-2012 at 03:47 PM.