E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

95 Cabriolet-Oh Boy! I need real tech help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 300 SDL, 95 300D, 95 E320 Cabrio
Exclamation 95 Cabriolet-Oh Boy! I need real tech help!

Bought this last month sight unseen..

Top will go up and down, but has trouble opening. I started to investigate. I opened the back tonneau cover where the top is stored and discovered a sheared off torx bolt on the main bow mount. This is the main pivot axis for the entire roof!

I've read countless forums and cannot get around the thought that I'm gonna have to pull the whole roof and some of the hydraulics to get to the steel mount, which has to come out to extract the sheared bolt.

No leaking hydraulics, just a sheared bolt. Car is low mileage (52k).

I'm open (and thankful) for any suggestions or ideas. I'm terrified that pulling the top will result on alignment issues, but I can't see a way around it.
Attached Thumbnails 95 Cabriolet-Oh Boy! I need real tech help!-photo1.jpg   95 Cabriolet-Oh Boy! I need real tech help!-photo2.jpg   95 Cabriolet-Oh Boy! I need real tech help!-photo3.jpg   95 Cabriolet-Oh Boy! I need real tech help!-photo4.jpg  
Old 03-29-2012, 08:11 AM

1995 E320 cabrio
I had similar problem with my cabrio years ago, I ended up bringing it to the dealer. They charged me 2 hrs $125 and basically serviced it for me, operation hydraulics, the works. Haven't had a problem since.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:08 AM

1995 E320 Cab; 2007 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by evagee
Bought this last month sight unseen..

Top will go up and down, but has trouble opening. I started to investigate. I opened the back tonneau cover where the top is stored and discovered a sheared off torx bolt on the main bow mount. This is the main pivot axis for the entire roof!

I've read countless forums and cannot get around the thought that I'm gonna have to pull the whole roof and some of the hydraulics to get to the steel mount, which has to come out to extract the sheared bolt.

No leaking hydraulics, just a sheared bolt. Car is low mileage (52k).

I'm open (and thankful) for any suggestions or ideas. I'm terrified that pulling the top will result on alignment issues, but I can't see a way around it.
Is this one of the Torx for the main cylinders. If it's the one in the cavity that's a hard one to access. Or is it somewhere else? I recognize the pictures but not where the Torx sheared off.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:28 AM

86 300 SDL, 95 300D, 95 E320 Cabrio
Not a cylinder

Nope, it's not the cylinder. The roof basically pivots on two points. This is the right side, behind and to the left of the rear seat. The sheared bolt connects the bows to a very heavy steel plate that's bolted deep down under the bows. Problem is, what is sheared is connected both to that plate and the outer bow.

I'll get some better pics at the next opportunity. Apologies if it's confusing.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 100 Posts
2018 GLE350, 2014 G550, 2000 SL500, 1980 TR8, 1995 E320 Cabriolet
You should just be able to remove the top pivot mounting plate and the cylinder attachment pin and lift the assembly up high enough to drill and use an Easy-Out (also use penetrating oil like Blaster or Yield) to remove the threaded section of the bolt. Be sure to mark the location of the base plate before you loosen is and this is an adjustment point. Pay attention to the location/number of any shims that may be under it as well.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails 95 Cabriolet-Oh Boy! I need real tech help!-top_mounting_plate.jpg   95 Cabriolet-Oh Boy! I need real tech help!-top_cylinder_pin.jpg