E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Cold Start Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 05:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
300 te
Question Cold Start Problem

I was wondering if anyone can help me with the cold start problems that i am having with my 1990 mercedes 300 TE. I live in Ireland and I have this car in portugal where i have a holiday home. I travel to portugal at least 4 times a year on vacation. The car is always stored in a garage and the temperature never gets much below 15 celcius. Every time I arrive there which on average is about every 3 months I start the car from cold. The car starts first turn. After the car runs for about ten minutes it starts to idle very rough and just cuts out. The car will not start for about another hour. I believe that it is a problem with the Cold Start valve staying on longer than it should and flooding the engine. I was wondering what i should do first.

1. Disconnect the CSV .Will the car start at 15 degress celsuis without it.?

2. Replace the CSV valve.?

3. Replace the engine temperature control sensor ?

4.Replace the engine Coolant sensor.?

I would be very grateful for some help please. I do not have the knowledge or tools to test the OHMs etc. Once the car starts after drying out after flooding the car starts no problem and doesent miss a beat.