E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

new to mbworld already great help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w124
new to mbworld already great help

Thank you mbworld and members!!!! i just bought a 92 300e pretty cheap but started noticing problems and became very stressed. when looking at the car it ran great had a few minor problems i would have no problem taking care of but next morning after purchasing car it took 7-10 tries to get car started, and once it was started it ran cold and had a delayed acceleration. so i started doing a little research and found plenty of ovp stories and decided to gave it a try and ordered the relay, but figured with my luck it would just be another problem and a waste of money. but to my SUPRISE! after installing it, it started after first attempt and idle jumped up to 750 instead of 500, awesome. so i just wanted to say thanks to everybody, would have spent hundreds of dollars on parts and labor if it wasn't for you.

also a quick question.
i did a smog pre test and failed horribly on nox, so most likely egr or cat or both. so my question is, could the ovp relay have effected the test? does it have anything to do with the operation of the egr or any egr components?

gotta say though after fixing this problem im stoked about my project.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
86 W124
Welcome!
With a low idle like that over time, you probably have a bunch of carbon build up. Before anything else, I'd try a good ol' fashion Italian tune up. Dump a can of SeaFoam into your intake, and let the party begin..drive it around in high revs.

If it doesn't fix it, at least it's entertaining...
Old 05-20-2012, 03:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Do a ton of research about high NOx. This is a common problem with these cars. The solutions are discussed here and elsewhere.

Most likely culprit, EGR pipe.

But do the research first.

What I would to to tackle this problem
Italian tune up
basic tuneup
thorough tune up
EGR
Old 05-20-2012, 02:03 PM

w124
Originally Posted by neanderthal
Do a ton of research about high NOx. This is a common problem with these cars. The solutions are discussed here and elsewhere.

Most likely culprit, EGR pipe.

But do the research first.

What I would to to tackle this problem
Italian tune up
basic tuneup
thorough tune up
EGR
Yeah I actually have a can of the seafoam gonna use it just haven't got to it yet.

As for the nox problem, my egr valve is coming in the mail, I'll have to look into the egr pipe issue. Gonna change the egr valve and run another pre test hopefully that will do the trick. Thanks for the help fellas
Old 05-21-2012, 06:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I had NOx problems that were not solved by any liquids. Just saying.

But if you already have a can, then whats the harm?