E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

European Headlights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 300E
European Headlights

Hi, I just ordered a pair of Bosch Euro Headlights for my 1990 300E. I was wondering where I can find two parts, that will allow the level control feature of the headlights to work.

The two parts are:

European headlight switch panel (MB # 124 60 03 65)
European headlight level control vacuum switch (MB # 000 800 04 73)

If someone could tell me where to find these two parts, it would be a lot of help.

Thanks.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:13 PM

1990 300E 2.6
Hi:
I ordered mine for my 1990 300E from my friendly neighborhood MB dealer who gives a discount to all MBCA members.
Old 07-09-2003, 08:41 AM

yamahauler16,

there are 2 different set-ups available. the one you mention [from star article] is not the true euro spec one.
also i have heard the performance of this is minimal [maybe 1" up or down]

i bought my setup from a man in europe. i get bewtween 2"-3" movement per setting. my dial is also illuminated. the other doesn't. [i have had both]. 20.00 panel and 50.00 for dial i believe. these are competeitve prices.

the rosette/dial and switch panel are available from fast lane at m.b.shop

http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforu...threadid=69001

i'm posting a picture. if this is the one you want click on the link,it gives all these part numbers and then some.

peter
Attached Thumbnails European Headlights-realeurobeamadjstr.jpg  
Old 07-09-2003, 08:42 AM

a pic of other dial [the part number you mentioned].
Attached Thumbnails European Headlights-vac-switch.jpg  
Old 07-09-2003, 09:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
You are also going to need the actuators that move the lens on the headlites and some MB plastic vacuum hose to link it all up. Some W124s have the lines in them already (like the 500Es) so its an easy hook up...other cars need a little extra time and work to get it all working properly.

I'll post the actuators part numbers later when I find them. They were like $40-50 each I think,btw.
Old 07-09-2003, 10:50 AM

1990 300E 2.6
Vacuum actuators (motors) should already be inside the Bosch light assemblies. Mine were and so were others I have seen. I have the exact same part #s you listed in your posting and did not experience the lack of range - much more than just 1" between the highest and lowest setting. Remember, your lights project down the road and it does not take much to change their height at distance from the car. My switch is illuminated at night when the lights are on.

You might also consider a daytime running light kit. I selected a $25 kit from J C Whitney that illuminates the lights at 25% capacity and it is simple to install. Makes the car look more modern as well as being safer in the daytime.
Old 07-09-2003, 03:41 PM

Originally posted by oliverb
Vacuum actuators (motors) should already be inside the Bosch light assemblies. Mine were and so were others I have seen. I have the exact same part #s you listed in your posting and did not experience the lack of range - much more than just 1" between the highest and lowest setting. Remember, your lights project down the road and it does not take much to change their height at distance from the car.

You might also consider a daytime running light kit. I selected a $25 kit from J C Whitney that illuminates the lights at 25% capacity and it is simple to install. Makes the car look more modern as well as being safer in the daytime.
oliver-

if you were talking about my statement, let me clarify. i get about 2"-3" drop or raise per setting- not overall height.

if you hook up your "city lights", you won't need daytime running lights.

peter

Trending Topics

Old 07-09-2003, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Hmmm...that's wierd...my newer Hellas (500E specific) did not have the actuators in there...I had to get them myself; maybe that's why they were so cheap.

Old 07-09-2003, 05:15 PM

1990 300E 2.6
Peter & Jim;
I know city lights are an option but they are not as bright as the daytime running lights. I also like having the front corners illuminated at night. Again, a safety factor for me. In my experience, I wouldn't want more raise/drop in the beam unless I was spotlighting the trees for game.
Perhaps that is the difference between the Bosch & Hella? I installed the Bosch in June '02 and wondered at the time about the white disc-shaped thing inside the assembly. Shortly there-after I read the article about the adjuster option and noticed the vacuum tubing attached to the actuator and a port on the inside of the housing.
It is a fun upgrade for a little additional $ and effort. Sure impresses folks to see that ability in an older car.
OliverB
Old 07-09-2003, 08:41 PM

oliver

actually in europe when you have [i think]

2 passengers in the back seat you lower one level.

2 pass and luggage another level

2 pass, luggage, max load another.

i'll do a search at mb shop. someone posted the actual apge from the owners manual.

if i want "drl", i'll just turn the switch. cheapest way to get them.

i never implied city lights are as bright as drl. they're only a 5 watt bulb.
but they just finish off the euro light conversion to me.

i do agree that for the safety factor, the turn signal indicators should be on, BUT this is not the "true" euro setup.

i keep going back and forth about going true euro with mine...
if my wife didn't drive the car, it would already be done.

peter
Attached Thumbnails European Headlights-cityliteatnight.jpg  
Old 07-09-2003, 08:43 PM

another city light pic
Attached Thumbnails European Headlights-citylite1.jpg