E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Hello from Japan - My new W124 300D Turbo project.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W124 300D Turbo
Hello from Japan - My new W124 300D Turbo project.

Hello All,
Thought I'd introduce myself here, as I've been lurking every now & then when searching for info!

I'm based in Japan and although own a fair few interesting cars already, I had hankered after a fine old Benz for ages, as memories remained of a fine old W123 300 Diesel I ran as a student in the UK.

Diesel Benz are very rare in Japan, so when I decided it would make a fine runabout for my family it took me a while to find one...
Now I finally have a 1991 W124 300 Turbo Diesel in Pearl white with a measley 175,000km, as a start to my new project. Having been supplied new in Japan it's completely rust free, including the original exhaust.

First thing I had to do was change the glow plugs, as they were ALL shot!
To do this I needed to get the engine started to get it nice & hot so the head would expand and make it easiest to remove the buggers!

Starting it was difficult, not least as they don't sell ether in shops here... I removed the intake manifold & sprayed carb cleaner into the intake ports... it tried to start, but wouldn't go...
So eventually I had the idea of blocking the exhaust to get some heat to stay in the cylinders whilst my wife cranked... then she burst into life!

Anyways, it's all back in one piece now and starts perfectly on the button.
I have a friend in Germany who is sending me OEM parts as Japan's crazy for Benz bits, so I've built up a nice collection and am waiting for others...

So far, I have stocked up on the following, some used, some new (Some parts still in transit):

Complete 500E Limited 2 tone interior (But will need new wiring looms for the heated & memory front seats.
Atiwe Leather Steering Wheel.
17 x 8.0 + 32 Rinspeed 5 Spoke wheels with new tyres.
Bilstein sports shocks with H&R Sports springs & MB rubber spacers.
320 Cabrio front & 500E rear ARB's.
Clarion VZ300 CD/ Radio/ DVD Head unit with ipod / iphone attachment.
Jenhert complete front speaker set including door boxes & sound proofing.
Rainbow rear shelf speakers.
Still waiting to decide on which amplifiers to buy, but probably two class D's with about 800W between them. One for the front and one for the rear, to power a sub box I'll build in between the two rear 500E seats. Not looking for mega power, more quality of sound so the entire floor will be insulated, doors, etc. as part of the audio installation.
Also ordered lots of bits and pieces to repair minor faults I've found but I won't bore anyone further with those details.

Anyways, kinda excited about my new project - an old bruiser benz so thought I'd pop in and say hello.
Will post some pics once work starts on it... right now it's just a plain pearl white (2 tone) W124.... (I'm not one to post a lot of pics until the job's done usually...