E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

irregular idling, starting??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 05:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
irregular idling, starting??

Hi everyone,
hope you are well,

Having some worrying problems with my 93 200E 16V Euro model 114K miles (M111 engine).
A couple of weeks ago, the low coolant light lit up for a short time, so I topped it up. The following week I found I was intermittently having problems starting : starter would go but the engine would stumble, stutter and cut out, after a couple of revs, the engine would run fine. Then this seemed to be happening more and more often, and also the idling speed appeared to become quite erratic. Yesterday the coolant light came on again for a short time, so I checked and the tank was visibly not full, I added 2L of Coolant mixture. Also I have noticed the oil pressure gauge dips below 3 at traffic lights when the engine is warm/hot, and goes back up when you pull away. The erratic idling is no longer intermittent, and seems to be happening most times now.
I have been doing some research in manuals etc and it could be a temperature sensor or the thermostat / coolant leak, or something more serious.

Any ideas / tips / abuse.... will be taken on board and greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jon.
Ireland.
Old 07-16-2003, 06:07 AM

W124
Hi,
You need to know if the coolant loss is internal or external. Have a look around the engine, radiator and hoses for signs of coolant loss (white deposits). Check the top plastic hose on the radiator, as this is a favourite. If you can't find it take it to a garage for a pressure test.
Also I have noticed the oil pressure gauge dips below 3 at traffic lights when the engine is warm/hot, and goes back up when you pull away
This is normal. You only need to worry if it drops below 1 or doesn't rise again. (Mercedes say anything above 0.3 at idle is ok)
The uneven idle is either a fuel problem or (more likely) electrical. When was it last serviced?
Take out the spark plugs and inspect them. Are they covered in oil?
Change the dist cap/rotor/leads/plugs if they look in any way suspect.
How many miles has it done? Do you loose oil as well as water?
Old 07-16-2003, 06:19 AM

Thanks for your reply...

There are no visible signs of coolant around the engine, or on the top hose, I will take it for a pressure test. and check the plugs etc.
The car has done 114,000 miles, I was given a full dealer service @ 108K, and I changed the oil/filter two weeks ago. There is no major oil loss that I can determine.
One thing I did notice was that the starting problem seems to happen much less when the car has been sitting for a while (??)
Also I was wondering if the idling problem is damaging to the engine, can I still drive the car ?

Thanks Cap'n Jasper
Old 07-22-2003, 09:07 AM

Well, as it turns out, after a couple of days hot weather, and a couple of white steam clouds later, It seems my headgasket has gone. It's hard to describe the horror as I saw plumes of white smoke pouring from my exhaust, after only reading on this forum that very day, the exact symptoms which I was soon to witness for myself....... My mechanic reckons he can do it for €700
gulp, hope I can get some overtime.....

Jon.