E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

1st time Coolant flush

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 06:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
90' 230E
1st time Coolant flush

I am planning to do a Coolant Flush on my M102 engined 230E (yep, it a right hand drive 4 cyllinder W124, cos i am in the other part of the world, Hong Kong).
Apprecite if any experience MB DIY-er can guide me though...

1/Does anyone have MB documented procedues (MB CD??) on how to Coolant flush, the MB way??
2/I prepare to change the thermoster if it look old when I take it out during flush, Should I change the O-ring (sealer?) and the black plastic housing together??
3/ What tempature thermoster should I use for 30C+ (90F+) weather with 100% time A/C on??
4/Any other maintenance i can do at the same time since i will take the hosing out for inspection??

Thanks!!
Old 07-17-2003, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
'00 S320 W220, '98 A160 W168/ sold in 2005 '86 260 E W124 '90 260E W124
Hi,
there is not much to say how to do it. If you take the thermostat out you should replace it with the same characteristic which presently is built in, dont change it to a model with different setting, since all the other temperature controls may not fit together anymore. The O-ring comes with the replacment part. The housing needs to be swapped if cracked, otherwise not.
If you take the hosing out for inspection than all the fluid is drained anyway. Dont forget to open the heater to full, so also the heating radiator is drained. There is a little vent to be opened on the muffler side of the engine block to drain the engine, and one vent is on the lower end of the radiator (same side) When all the liqiud is drained, just flush the system by holding a gardenhose in the expansion container. Close all the vents, attach the hoses and refill the system with a mixture of radiatior fluid and REGULAR tap water (no destilled water!!!) Mixture ratio is shown on the radiator fluid bottle. I would set the mixture to about 50/50% or 40/60 (fliud/water). If you want to invest some extra money repalce the old hoses, but they aren't cheap.