E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

LED Bulbs - built in Resistors?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 300E
Question LED Bulbs - built in Resistors?

I see these on ebay.

Do you think these will be a direct replacement for our rear turn signals (1156)with no burn out bulb indicator and no hyper flash when signalling as claimed?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TWO-AMBER-No...item48463ae293
Old 08-15-2012, 08:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
88 W124 300CE
Have a look at the superbrightleds website.

Most tail light/turn signal changeovers do require a resistor to stop the "light out" warning on the dash. The eBay one's may have the resistor built into the circuit by the sound of things.

Superbrights advice on this is :
"...LED brake/tail lamps will not flash with thermal flasher units due to their extremely low current draw. Also, with stock flasher units, the turn signals may flash faster than normal (Hyper-Flash). These installations will require an electronic flasher unit, available below (for some vehicles) or at your auto parts store. Try to find flashers designed to work with LED bulbs, they will say "LED compatible". Often HEAVY DUTY flashers will also work with LED bulbs.

We offer some LED Flashers but we do not know which one (if any) will fit your vehicle. You will have to compare the pin-out of your flasher with the pin-outs of the flashers we offer, to see if we have a match, BEFORE you order one. Sorry but we do not have a flasher application list or the expertise to tell you which of our flashers will fit your vehicle.

Another fix is the installation of Load Resistors which are wired across (in parallel with) the turn signal bulbs to simulate the load of a standard filament bulb. One Load Resistor is required for each bulb....."

For your vehicle they recommend the following :

http://www.superbrightleds.com/vehic...-e-ce-te/37/74

They also show the resistors for about $4 each or alternatively replace the flasher with one that is LED compatible for about $14.

I have used them before and most helpful and super quick shipping.
Not too mention their prices are cheaper than those on eBay !

Last edited by stormtigers; 08-15-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 300E
thanks for your advice stormtigers.

Since the ebay one's come with built in resistors, I'm going to give those a shot. Also, as I am in Canada, I don't have to worry about import taxes, brokerage etc.

I was thinking about getting the City light bulbs in LED too. Do you know (or anyone) what the universal part number is for those bulbs?

Thanks, and I'll let everyone know how those LEDs with built in resistors work out.