E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

LED License - plate bulbs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 300E
Question LED License - plate bulbs

I am interested in updating the licence plate bulbs to LED to give it the whiter brighter look.

I bought some festoon bulbs a while back but they gave me the bulb out error, so I took them out.

I see that they sell new bulbs which are error free, so I bought some led bulbs (6418) that are Canbus Error Free C5W. But they still show the bulb out error.

Does anyone have LED bulbs with the built in resistors that worked without the bulb out error?

I know you can add resistors, but how many ohms - where exactly would you put them in? I really don't want to cut up the wiring to add the resistors in, I prefer to get the bulbs with the right resistors built in.

thanks.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 300E
An update.

I figured out the resistor stuff, but not knowing what the wattage of my LED bulb is, not sure whether to go with 50 ohm or 100 ohm resistors.

When I posted this, I only tested one LED bulb on the driver's side, and the incadescent bulb still on the passenger side. And that gave me the bulb out error so I just put back the original incadescent bulb back in the driver's side.

I was thinking this morning that perhaps because I had 2 different bulbs when I got the error (one LED, one incadescent, each with different wattages), then maybe this is what is causing the bulb out error - the current drop between the bulbs.

So I replaced both sides with the LED bulbs, and hoping that this might work. No error. So the LED bulbs I have with the built in resistors, works on our W124's.