E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Upgrading the Stereo on a 300E - help needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 300E
Exclamation Upgrading the Stereo on a 300E - help needed

I have a 1990 300E.

I understand, that there are various becker models in the 300E, and I understand that after 1990, the becker 1432 model was used. I have also read, that some say the becker 1432 was put in some late model 1990 300E's.

I need help on how I can upgrade the stock stereo to an aftermarket one. I read the forums, and researched on the internet, but from there have been so many different suggestions and comments, based on the type of setup that was installed (ie. 1480 vs 1432 models, cd changer, no cd changer, active base or not etc.).

First, I think (and I hope) I have the becker 1480 model. I have attached a pic. From what I read so far is that all 1432 models had the "mode" near the power button. As you can see mine does not.

I also have 6 speakers, 2 in the front dash, 2 in the rear deck, and 2 in the front doors. However, these front door speakers only go on when I have enough bass - I think I must have the active bass system. I also have just 1 amplifier in the trunk, passenger side below the trunk hinge. I do not see any other amplifiers, unless they were put elsewhere.

I want to install a new head unit without running new wires. I don't want to have to rip up the carpet, remove back seat, etc. I do understand that I will need to bypass the fader in the console by the shifter, and get a harness and antenna adapter.

So here are my specific questions. Please answer if you have a 1990 300E or you are familiar with my set up (I think it is a 1480 becker).

1. Do I have the Becker 1480 model?

2. Do I have the active bass system, if there was more than 1 amp, am I correct to assume that it would be right beside the amplifier on the right side of the trunk?

3. I was looking at stereos from crutchfield. It comes with the Mercedes Receiver Harness
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1207018...s.html?tp=2977 and Motorolla antenna cable extension http://www.crutchfield.com/p_12044EC...e.html?tp=3351 . So with these accessories, will it be plug and play, besides bypassing the fader?

4. Even though I really like the convience of the factory console fader, am I correct to assume that you should bypass it as it distorts and I will lose 1/2 my power?

4. Provided I do have the 1480 model, am I correct to assume that I will not have to run any new wiring from the trunk to the headunit? - Will the stock amplifier still be in use?

Again, I have a 1990 300E (6 speakers with 1 amplifier is all I can see). If you have another vehicle, or becker model, please identify it in your responses. Thank you very much.
Attached Thumbnails Upgrading the Stereo on a 300E - help needed-2012-10-06-radio.jpg  
Old 01-03-2014, 04:26 AM

1993 W124 280E
Yes, that looks like a 1480 to me. You can just remove the head unit to see the model number.
The active bass is the only part that runs off of the amp in the trunk.
There will be a 3 pin connector connected to a pre-amp line out on the unit which leads to the amp.

I have the 1480 with just 4 speakers and without the active bass, so it's a bit simpler than your system.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:25 PM

W124 E320
You've probably made up your mind by now. However, what I did on my E320 was replacing the old Becker with a Pioneer, added an amplifier and a subwoofer in the trunk. Some Pioneer stereos allow to manage the bass frequencies in the speakers and sub. So I increased the frequencies on the speakers, therefore getting a lower bass threshold from the front door speakers. Took some time to equalise, but sounds pretty good. When I need more power, then I can feel the bass in the trunk, which turned out to be a great resonance box. Regarding the harness I just cut the wires, attached them to the Pioneer harness and stored the old one. You can find a wiring color map online.